incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Oh, let's not forget @openoffice.org too
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:52:58 GMT
I'd say, generally, that this is partly a vanity/affinity e-mail domain, just as The Documentation
Foundation is preparing to do for libreoffice.org (although I think you'll have to be a TDF
Member to get one, not sure how high that bar will be).  It's like my @acm.org, @computer.org
(when I had it), or my college alumnus .org. Except about as easy as @facebook.com, @gmail.com,
etc.

I hadn't thought about all of the places that people may have provided their openoffice.org
email addresses in their profiles, forum sigs, etc.  I just logged on to the site and I notice
it asks for either an Username OR email address along with the password I had assigned myself.

The wiki has a different username and password (and no click-through agreement that I recall
seeing when I registered the other day).

The English user forum does have a terms of use, not mentioning the overall site terms though.

Although I can choose an Username, it looks like the email address is the biggie.  Hah, I
have to indicate which version of OO.o I am running on what system before I am allowed to
complete the registration.  The Signature entry is scanned to ensure I've done that.  It is
filtered and becomes part of my signature on Forum posts.  They are doing an e-mail confirmation
too.

So more about what is on forums, what people are currently clicked-through, and the use of
email addresses tied to accounts and possibly visible in profiles.

 - Dennis

AND A BIT MORE ABOUT PROPERTY OF FORUM POSTS:

At the user forum (where I just started a signup) *all* it says I am agreeing to with regard
to my contribution is this:

"As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While
this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “OpenOffice.org
Community Forum” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead
to the data being compromised."

There is no license mention other than to point out that phpBB is made available under the
GPL.  The URI is http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/ucp.php?mode=register and its
title is "Register * User Control Panel"