incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Wiki for the project - wiki.services.openoffice.org provenance
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:24:10 GMT
I agree about letting the lawyers deal with the IP aspect of this.

Where do you see any CC-by license statements in or about the Wiki?  I haven't found such
a thing, and certainly not in the terms of use for contributions to the overall site.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Peters [mailto:frank.thomas.peters@googlemail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 01:10
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: fpe@openoffice.org
Subject: Re: Wiki for the project - wiki.services.openoffice.org provenance

[ ... ]

The situation is probably more complex since the physical
location of the wiki server is not the US, IIRC. I am not sure
whether copyright assignment (or the equivalent in the corresponding
jurisdiction) can happen implicitly, or if transfer-in-writing
is just a cya measure to make it easily enforceable. To be honest,
I don't want to dive too deep into this.

> In short, the wiki is a mess.  IMHO as we like to say.

Absolutely. A mess. I second that emotion.

But rather than spending our energy solving this legal problem or
pay lawyers to do it, can we find ways to save wiki content that
seem to be perfectly legal?

(1) All pages that are explicitly licensed under CC-BY should be
straightforward. Since it's not an SA license we should be
able to relicense under AL (or just stick with CC-BY if this
is acceptable). Many of those pages come from the talented folks
of ODFAuthors and we may also just ask them to put it under
AL for reuse at Apache OOo.

(2) All pages originally by Sun/Oracle can undoubtfully be
relicensed.

[ ... ]