Propchange: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/logs/30-Jul-2005-Software-Piracy.html ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ svn:eol-style = native Added: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/logs/style.css URL: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/logs/style.css?rev=1196049&view=auto ============================================================================== --- incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/logs/style.css (added) +++ incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/logs/style.css Tue Nov 1 15:21:49 2011 @@ -0,0 +1,22 @@ +table.schedule { + background: #fff; + width: 95%; +} +tr.talk { + background: #f0f0f0; + height: 1.5em; + border-bottom: medium solid #f00 +} +tr.heading { + background:#184090; + color:#fff; + font-weight: bold; + height: 2em; + vertical-alignment: middle; +} +td.date { background: #9cf } +td.tba { color: #e30 } +td { vertical-align: top } +h1, h2, h3, h4 { color: #037 } +h1 { text-align: center } +h2 { margin-left: 2em } Propchange: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/logs/style.css ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ svn:eol-style = native Added: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/INSTRUCTIONS URL: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/INSTRUCTIONS?rev=1196049&view=auto ============================================================================== --- incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/INSTRUCTIONS (added) +++ incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/INSTRUCTIONS Tue Nov 1 15:21:49 2011 @@ -0,0 +1,16 @@ +USAGE: + +1) ./clean.pl log > log2 +2) mv log2 log +3) ./nicks.pl log > colours.pl +4) Fix colours in "colours.pl" +5) ./convert.pl log > log.html + + Note: If a nick is black, it must be added manuall to colours.pl + +6) Add the title and speaker to log.html. Format: +

IRC Conference log

+

+ INREACH, building an active community
+ by Daniel Carrera +

Added: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/clean.pl URL: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/clean.pl?rev=1196049&view=auto ============================================================================== --- incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/clean.pl (added) +++ incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/clean.pl Tue Nov 1 15:21:49 2011 @@ -0,0 +1,33 @@ +#!/usr/bin/perl + +use warnings; +use strict; + +# +# Sanity check. +# +$ARGV[0] or die "Usage: secure filename"; +my $file = $ARGV[0]; +unless (-e $file) { die "No such file: $file" } + +# +# Remove background noise. +# +open INPUT, "<$file"; +while () { + # + # Mar 20 17:32:05 <-- SomeNicks has left #room + # + next if (/^\w\w\w\s\d\d\s\d\d:\d\d:\d\d\s<--\s/); # Nick leaves. + next if (/^\w\w\w\s\d\d\s\d\d:\d\d:\d\d\s-->\s/); # Nick enters. + next if (/^\w\w\w\s\d\d\s\d\d:\d\d:\d\d\s---\s/); # Nick changes. + next if (/^\w\w\w\s\d\d\s\d\d:\d\d:\d\d\s>/); # Private msg. + next if (/^\w\w\w\s\d\d\s\d\d:\d\d:\d\d\s\*/); # 3rd person. + print +} +close INPUT; + +#### +#Mar 20 17:32:05 <-- simonbr (~Simon@simonbr.xs4all.nl) has left #ooonlc # +#Mar 20 17:33:51 <-- Jzarecta has quit ("Leaving") # +### Propchange: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/clean.pl ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ svn:eol-style = native Propchange: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/clean.pl ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ svn:executable = * Added: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/colours.pl URL: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/colours.pl?rev=1196049&view=auto ============================================================================== --- incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/colours.pl (added) +++ incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/colours.pl Tue Nov 1 15:21:49 2011 @@ -0,0 +1,15 @@ +# +# Include file with nick colours. +# + +our %colours = qw( + AietKolkhi #800 + DanielC #080 + Magi #008 + cloph #088 + gautehk #808 + hfischer #880 + jrahemipour #50a + khirano #05a +); +1; Propchange: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/colours.pl ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ svn:eol-style = native Added: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/convert.pl URL: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/convert.pl?rev=1196049&view=auto ============================================================================== --- incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/convert.pl (added) +++ incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/convert.pl Tue Nov 1 15:21:49 2011 @@ -0,0 +1,66 @@ +#!/usr/bin/perl + +use warnings; +use strict; + +require "colours.pl"; + +# +# Sanity check. +# +$ARGV[0] or die "Usage: secure filename"; +my $file = $ARGV[0]; +unless (-e $file) { die "No such file: $file" } + +# +# Put the entire log in an array. +# +open INPUT, "<$file"; +my @lines = (); +while () {chomp; push @lines, $_ } +close INPUT; + +# +# Remove the time, and set the colour of the nick (from colours.pl). +# Nicks have the form . +# +# %colours +for (my $i = 0; $i < @lines; $i++) { + $lines[$i] =~ /.*?<(.*?)>/; + my $nick = $1; + my $col = ($main::colours{$nick} ? $main::colours{$nick} : '#000'); + my $bold = "$nick"; + $lines[$i] =~ s/.*?<$nick>/[$bold]\n/; +} + +# +# Print out. +# +print < + + + IRC Conference log + + + + +

IRC Conference log

+

+ + + +

+ + + + + +EOH +; +for my $line (@lines) { + print " $line\n
\n"; +} Propchange: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/convert.pl ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ svn:eol-style = native Propchange: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/convert.pl ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ svn:executable = * Added: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/log.html URL: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/log.html?rev=1196049&view=auto ============================================================================== --- incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/log.html (added) +++ incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/log.html Tue Nov 1 15:21:49 2011 @@ -0,0 +1,1219 @@ + + + + IRC Conference log + + + + +

IRC Conference log

+

+ Non Profit Organization (NPO) to Support OpenSource Developers
+ by Kazunari Hirano
+ +

+ + + + + + [khirano] + I will start in 5 min., is it ok for you all? +
+ [jrahemipour] + Yes, certainly +
+ [khirano] + If you want to have Slides of my presentation, please go to get it there: +
+ [khirano] + My .sxi is here: http://native-lang.openoffice.org/conference/ +
+ [khirano] + let me start :) +
+ [khirano] + Hi all, +
+ [khirano] + Thanks for coming. :) +
+ [khirano] + And very sorry for being late to upload my presentation. +
+ [khirano] + My .sxi is here: http://native-lang.openoffice.org/conference/ +
+ [khirano] + I have been travelling around Japan to meet people +
+ [khirano] + whom I would like to ask to join, and to discuss with them about vision of NPO, OpenSourcers (tentative name) and our dreams. +
+ [khirano] + Becase I think it is very important that NPO founders trust each other. +
+ [khirano] + I have just been back from Tokyo. +
+ [khirano] + OK, let me start my presentation. +
+ [khirano] + Slide 1: +
+ [khirano] + My talk will be on Non Profit Organization (NPO) to Support OpenSource Developers +
+ [khirano] + Slide 2: +
+ [khirano] + My talk will be short. I would like to have your advises and comments, more time for Q & A and discussion. +
+ [khirano] + After my presentation I have questions for you. +
+ [khirano] + Please think about these questions while seeing, listening my presentation. +
+ [khirano] + My questions are: +
+ [khirano] + What NPO law do you have in your country? +
+ [khirano] + Are you planning to establish an NPO? +
+ [khirano] + Do you know contributors, developers or translators who need financial or material help? +
+ [khirano] + What do they need, What do they want? +
+ [khirano] + Why are you working for OpenOffice.org the product and the community? +
+ [khirano] + What is your motivation? +
+ [khirano] + Do you think that money can help OpenSource development? :) +
+ [khirano] + Here is the Agenda +
+ [khirano] + Speaker Introductions +
+ [khirano] + Japan +
+ [khirano] + OpenOffice.org Ja Native Language Project +
+ [khirano] + Japan OpenOffice.org Users Group +
+ [khirano] + What we really need +
+ [khirano] + What if we have money +
+ [khirano] + NPO Law in Japan +
+ [khirano] + NPO Activity +
+ [khirano] + and Q & A +
+ [khirano] + Slide 3: +
+ [khirano] + My name is Kazunari Hirano. +
+ [khirano] + When I introduce myself with my full name in Japanese, +
+ [khirano] + I say my family name first, and then my given name, +
+ [khirano] + so I say, my name is Hirano Kazunari. +
+ [khirano] + We use Chinese Characters. +
+ [khirano] + We can't express well without using them. +
+ [khirano] + Chinese Characters are ideogram. +
+ [khirano] + When we see it, we can imagine what it means. +
+ [khirano] + In my name you can see a Chinese Character "One," very easy one to understand :) +
+ [khirano] + My name literally means, "Plain Field, One Success." +
+ [khirano] + Slide 4: Japan +
+ [khirano] + I made this Japan language map based on information given by: +
+ [khirano] + http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=JP +
+ [khirano] + I don't think it's a correct map +
+ [khirano] + because their information is old and often incorrect +
+ [khirano] + but it's ok, one of the very interesting view on languages in Japan. +
+ [khirano] + I am a member of the OpenOffice.org Japanese Native Language Project, +
+ [khirano] + I am a Japanese living in Japan. +
+ [khirano] + I am an OpenOffice.org blogger :) +
+ [khirano] + http://openoffice.exblog.jp/ +
+ [khirano] + There you can see my face :) +
+ [khirano] + Japan is often called Japanese archipelago or Japanese islands. +
+ [khirano] + Bigger islands are Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu. +
+ [khirano] + I live in "Ichinoseki" City, "Iwate" Prefecture, +
+ [khirano] + northern part of Japan Main Island, "Honshu." +
+ [khirano] + Slide 5: +
+ [khirano] + Japanese Native Language Project +
+ [khirano] + Ja NLP membership +
+ [khirano] + http://ja.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectMemberList +
+ [khirano] + We have around 800 observers registered and around 20 developers registered. +
+ [khirano] + We form OpenOffice.org Japan Users Group, core of which is OpenOffice.org Japanese Native Language Project. +
+ [khirano] + For this group we have 15 managing staffs, +
+ [khirano] + core of which are OpenOffice.org Japanese Native Language Project members who have signed JCA and have commit rights. +
+ [khirano] + The Users Group has a users mailing list outside the OpenOffice.org Japanese Native Language Project to embrace as many users as possible, +
+ [khirano] + which is openoffce@freeml.com +
+ [khirano] + It has Near 3,000 subscribers +
+ [khirano] + Sure we have Project Mailing Lists: +
+ [khirano] + We use discuss@ja.openoffice.org to discuss about management of the group, marketing, events, and general questions regarding OpenOffice.org +
+ [khirano] + We use translate@ja.openoffice.org for translation works, translation collaboration with Sun Microsystems, OpenOffice.org translation bug reporting etc. +
+ [khirano] + Slide 6: +
+ [khirano] + OpenOffice.org Japan Users Group +
+ [khirano] + It is just a group. +
+ [khirano] + We don't know who are members. +
+ [khirano] + It is not a legal entity. +
+ [khirano] + All activity is based on volunteers. +
+ [khirano] + We don't have accounting function. +
+ [khirano] + We can't receive money. +
+ [khirano] + When we need money or have a chance to receive money, +
+ [khirano] + we ask an individual, a staff member, to voluntarily open a bank account. +
+ [khirano] + The group often creates OpenOffice.org CDs and distributes free to people at events and conferences in Japan. +
+ [khirano] + When we organized the OpenOffice.org Conference Japan 2005, +
+ [khirano] + a company wanted to contribute to us. +
+ [khirano] + A staff member asked a CD manufacturer to press hundreds of OpenOffice.org CDs and pay for them. +
+ [khirano] + And after the conference, the company donate the amount of money what he paid to his own account. +
+ [khirano] + This was heavy burden and risk for him. +
+ [khirano] + Slide 7: +
+ [khirano] + What we really need +
+ [khirano] + We don't want money. +
+ [khirano] + We want People +
+ [khirano] + We want Developers +
+ [khirano] + We want Translators +
+ [khirano] + We want Contributors +
+ [khirano] + We want Motivated people +
+ [khirano] + We want to have quality OpenOffice.org +
+ [khirano] + We want to contribute to society +
+ [khirano] + We want Communication +
+ [khirano] + We want to Help people +
+ [khirano] + Now do we need Money? +
+ [khirano] + Slide 8: +
+ [khirano] + What if we have money +
+ [khirano] + We don't work for money. :) +
+ [khirano] + But what if we have money: +
+ [khirano] + We can get more contributors, developers and translators. +
+ [khirano] + Skilled developers are busy. :) +
+ [khirano] + We can ask developers to share their time. +
+ [khirano] + Tools are needed for development. +
+ [khirano] + We can provide them with equipments. +
+ [khirano] + Developers need information and exchange of ideas. +
+ [khirano] + We can help them go to conferences. +
+ [khirano] + We can do a lot of activity you can imagine :) +
+ [khirano] + Marketing activitiy, Organizing activity.... +
+ [khirano] + Slide 9: +
+ [khirano] + NPO Law in Japan +
+ [khirano] + It was enacted on Dec. 1, 1998 and revised on May 1, 2003. +
+ [khirano] + The revised law simplified the application and grant process. +
+ [khirano] + Under the NPO law, Japanese government grants a volunteer group as a legal entity +
+ [khirano] + What is benefits to become an NPO, a legal entity +
+ [khirano] + Can open a bank account as a group +
+ [khirano] + Can open an office as a group +
+ [khirano] + Can register its real property as a group +
+ [khirano] + Can perform other various legal action as a group +
+ [khirano] + Slide 10: +
+ [khirano] + The NPO law provides Authorized NPO. +
+ [khirano] + National Tax Agency grants an Authorized NPO. +
+ [khirano] + If individuals and organizations donate to the Authorized NPO, they don't have to pay tax for the donation. +
+ [khirano] + The law provides expansion of tax breaks for donations. +
+ [khirano] + It facilitates individuals, companies and other organizations to danate to NPOs :) +
+ [khirano] + Slide 11: +
+ [khirano] + NPO requirements +
+ [khirano] + NPO must have certain purposes +
+ [khirano] + such as promotions for welfare, social education, +
+ [khirano] + for local community, academic and scientific research, +
+ [khirano] + for environment, security, human rights, children, +
+ [khirano] + for information society, economic revitalization, +
+ [khirano] + for employment, consumer protection, etc.., +
+ [khirano] + which benefit general public +
+ [khirano] + NPO is like a company +
+ [khirano] + A company makes money for profit. +
+ [khirano] + NPO makes money but not for profit, +
+ [khirano] + which means NPO members don't share profit. +
+ [khirano] + Not more than 1/3 of board members get compensation. +
+ [khirano] + NPO must have at least 3 bord members and 1 auditor. +
+ [khirano] + Slide 12: +
+ [khirano] + NPO should have Business Plan: +
+ [khirano] + They may be: +
+ [khirano] + OpenSource Software Development +
+ [khirano] + OpenSource Software Localization +
+ [khirano] + Translation +
+ [khirano] + Publication (e.g."OpenOffice.org Magazine" with CD) +
+ [khirano] + Design Usable and Beautiful Computers +
+ [khirano] + Research +
+ [khirano] + User support +
+ [khirano] + Consulting +
+ [khirano] + Events, Conferences, Campaign, Fundraising +
+ [khirano] + Slide 13: +
+ [khirano] + We will find out good, skilled, honest contributors, +
+ [khirano] + developers and translators from OpenSouce communities and other fields. +
+ [khirano] + We will meet them and discuss what they want to do, +
+ [khirano] + what they need and what we can do together +
+ [khirano] + to develop OpenOffice.org and other OpenSource Software. +
+ [khirano] + We encourage them to work together and provide them with what they need by giving them resources, information, money, etc. +
+ [khirano] + We encourage them to join our activity and dispatch them to the conference by giving them transportation and accomodation. +
+ [khirano] + Slide 14: +
+ [khirano] + I would like to focus on Translation Works. +
+ [khirano] + Translation is essential to Japanese OpenSource Communities. +
+ [khirano] + to provide developers with information +
+ [khirano] + for good communication with world developers +
+ [khirano] + to motivate developers to join development works +
+ [khirano] + For example: TCM (Test Case Maintenance) +
+ [khirano] + When 1.9.79 test, Japanese Version TCM registered testers were 3, +
+ [khirano] + as TCM test cases was all in English. +
+ [khirano] + Then TCM test cases have been translated in Japanese. +
+ [khirano] + 1.9.95 Japanese Version testers increased to 11. +
+ [khirano] + Japanese Translation facilitates Japanese contributors and developers to join OpenOffice.org activity. +
+ [khirano] + Slide 15: +
+ [khirano] + What would the NPO like to do in future? +
+ [khirano] + to help world OpenSource developers +
+ [khirano] + to help communication and collaboration between various OpenSource communities and businesses +
+ [khirano] + OpenOffice.org Aynu Localization +
+ [khirano] + OpenOffice.org Klingon Localization +
+ [khirano] + Verious localization works +
+ [cloph] + ?? +
+ [khirano] + Host OpenOffice.org Conference in Japan +
+ [khirano] + and to help all the projects you can imagine.. :) +
+ [khirano] + correction: Various localization works +
+ [khirano] + I would like to add some future projects to the slide. +
+ [khirano] + Under the NPO law, NPO can establish a school. +
+ [khirano] + So the NPO would make a school to educate OpenSource developers and send them to the society. +
+ [khirano] + cloph: let us talk about Klingon later :) +
+ [DanielC] + :-) +
+ [khirano] + So the NPO would make a school to educate OpenSource developers and send them to the society. +
+ [khirano] + And the NPO can set up a research institute for OpenSource Software, attached to the school. +
+ [khirano] + Slide 16: +
+ [khirano] + Thanks for your attention and Q & A :) +
+ [khirano] + simple questions please :) +
+ [cloph] + So what about klingon? Do you really meant the klingon from the enterprise-series? +
+ [khirano] + cloph: yes! +
+ [cloph] + I really wonder who will (or better can) use an Office Suite in klingon... :-) +
+ [khirano] + cloph: so let us talk about it later, one reason is that it is fun! +
+ [khirano] + that's all, and I can think of marketing purpose :) +
+ [gautehk] + Thanks, khirano, this was both interesting and familiar because we already have a foundation/NPO that funds OOo work in Norway. Where will the Japanese NPO get money? +
+ [cloph] + ..But according to german wikipedia it is a registered language! And there even is a wikipedia in klingon :-) but enough about this... Sorry for disturbing/being off-topic :-) +
+ [DanielC] + khirano: Is this the Q&A now? +
+ [khirano] + gautehk: the NPO do business and ask companies and local governments, japanese government to donate. +
+ [gautehk] + khirano: Sounds very familiar (and sensible) +
+ [khirano] + the NPO publishes magazines and others, and sell them. +
+ [khirano] + the NPO collect membership fee, also. +
+ [khirano] + cloph: it's ok. I want to discuss about it later :) +
+ [gautehk] + khirano: who are members? Individuals or large-scale users (companies/organizations/government) +
+ [khirano] + gautehk: Both +
+ [khirano] + they would be members. they can join the NPO as individuals and organizations. +
+ [khirano] + And membership fees would vary +
+ [khirano] + the NPO can decide the membership fee for individuals and organizations. +
+ [jrahemipour] + khirano: Do the NPO members get an allowance for their work? +
+ [khirano] + the NPO can employ staffs, who would be paid, allowance. +
+ [DanielC] + It could employ developers and documentation writers! :-) +
+ [khirano] + DanielC: right! +
+ [DanielC] + :-) +
+ [DanielC] + I'd like that a lot. I think it would help OOo to have more developers, and in particular, some who aren't tied to any company. +
+ [DanielC] + Even if we don't hire people full time, if we just hire a couple of guys part time, that would be something. +
+ [DanielC] + Or we could work on commission. +
+ [DanielC] + Like, get someone to write SVG import. :-) +
+ [khirano] + DanielC: thanks for good ideas +
+ [DanielC] + Yeah, that might work well. Comission would work for a beginning NPO. +
+ [DanielC] + khirano: Is your NPO setup already? +
+ [gautehk] + For comparison, here's briefly what we do: The Norwegian foundation employs part-time translators. It has no membership fee. Some of the board members represent large-scale users. +
+ [khirano] + NOT YET! +
+ [DanielC] + ok +
+ [cloph] + SVG-import already exists as a xslt-based solution (at least it was started) +
+ [DanielC] + cloph: Yeah, but it needs work. +
+ [DanielC] + gautehk: You have an NPO already? +
+ [gautehk] + DanielC: yes, for a year or so +
+ [DanielC] + cool. +
+ [DanielC] + Do you now other projects that do too? +
+ [DanielC] + I think I heard that French NL has one. +
+ [jrahemipour] + khirano: Don`t you think there will be conflicts of interest if there are developers who are employed and others who are not? +
+ [DanielC] + jrahemipour: How so? +
+ [khirano] + jrahemipour: I am thinking about it too. +
+ [gautehk] + Volunteers do the fun stuff, paid employees do the boring work. (Basically :-) +
+ [khirano] + So we will meet developers and ask them whether they want to be supported or not. +
+ [khirano] + and the NPO will open all the information it has, whom it supports and others +
+ [jrahemipour] + Germany has such a NPO too... but we have problems to separate between "NPO interests" and "own business interests" of the members +
+ [khirano] + jrahemipour: the NPO will help their communication and understanding +
+ [jrahemipour] + Its not the problem of the members, more the critical voices you hear in the de-community +
+ [khirano] + jrahemipour: yes, it is. we have to think about it. but I think we can solve the question by communication and mutual understanding +
+ [jrahemipour] + Whats about the ja-community? How does they think about it? +
+ [khirano] + Not all the people among ja-community think that the NPO is the best solution +
+ [jrahemipour] + khirano: Yes, thats right. Communication between community an NPO is very important. It`s very important to have strict rules how to handle with the earned money +
+ [khirano] + The present ja-community can not handle money at all. +
+ [jrahemipour] + khirano: Do they have alternatives? Or do they think, its not important to handle with money? +
+ [khirano] + But we know we have to have some measure to handle money and to further develop our works and community +
+ [khirano] + jrahemipour: No, they don't have alternatives, I think. +
+ [jrahemipour] + khirano: That`s true... we concentrate on marketing activities at the moment, I don`t think, we can manage it in the next years to employ people +
+ [khirano] + I think they are OK with present situation to do the same as past. +
+ [khirano] + But I think we have to do more to keep the community survive and be active. +
+ [khirano] + Actually it is difficult to keep motivation of developers and translators among ja-community. +
+ [jrahemipour] + khirano: How did the qa-community increase in the last two years? Do you know, how many observers and developers you had 2 years before? +
+ [khirano] + jrahempour: I don't know exactly how many +
+ [gautehk] + khirano: I can imagine motivation being difficult. OOo is a lot harder to work on than most other open source projects. +
+ [khirano] + but OpenOffice.org development so far is itself very interesting and we got many users. +
+ [DanielC] + khirano: I guess it's an issue of making it easier for developers who are already interested to not be distracted by "work". +
+ [DanielC] + khirano: Kind of like what they did for Linus. +
+ [khirano] + DanielC: it is true :) +
+ [DanielC] + hhmm... maybe this also leads into "who do we hire?" +
+ [DanielC] + The NPO would hire people who have been working for a while and have shown commitment. +
+ [khirano] + it is the most important question. +
+ [DanielC] + But that wouldn't address problems like hiring someone to finish SVG import. That is, problems for which no current member can help. +
+ [DanielC] + It's a difficult question. Discussion is good. +
+ [khirano] + We have to meet them and discuss. +
+ [khirano] + To meet them, we have to travel, we need money :) +
+ [DanielC] + :-) +
+ [DanielC] + If you focus on local developers it might be easier. +
+ [DanielC] + Or... you can arrange for "potentials" to go to OOoCon. +
+ [DanielC] + Hhmm... I like that idea. +
+ [DanielC] + Pick a few people who are good contributors and sponsor them to go to OOoCon. +
+ [DanielC] + Then meet them there. +
+ [khirano] + sounds good. +
+ [DanielC] + Even if you don't "hire" them later, you still did something valuable with that money. +
+ [DanielC] + You know what I mean. +
+ [khirano] + yes, definitely +
+ [DanielC] + :-) +
+ [jrahemipour] + I only see the problem... "who decides it" and how to prevent, that the others not think to get a raw deal +
+ [Magi] + I've heard that SVG is hard to implement? Possibly it can't be done with XSLT at all. +
+ [DanielC] + jrahemipour: I guess that you need some sort of committee. So no one person can choose arbitrarily (or be /seen/ to choose arbitrarily). +
+ [khirano] + jrahemipour: You have the OpenOffice.org non profit association in German, right? +
+ [DanielC] + jrahemipour: But no matter what you do, someone will always be upset. +
+ [DanielC] + Magi: I hear that an "ok" filter is doable, but a "complete" filter is very hard. +
+ [DanielC] + Magi: But I don't know. +
+ [jrahemipour] + khirano: Yes we have... and we have exact this kind of problems with it +
+ [khirano] + jrahemipour: I would like to share knowledge and activity with yours +
+ [DanielC] + jrahemipour: How do you decide right now? +
+ [jrahemipour] + DanielC: We don`t decide much at the moment. We focus on marketing activities. We pay for things, the members had to pay for theirselves before +
+ [DanielC] + jrahemipour: Ok. That's still a good way to spend the money. You don't *have* to hire people. +
+ [DanielC] + (IMHO) +
+ [jrahemipour] + We have a "board of directors" (Vorstand), who decides, how to spend the money... we are 3 persons +
+ [DanielC] + I see. +
+ [jrahemipour] + DanielC: But its always the problem, not to be inequitable +
+ [DanielC] + jrahemipour: I don't envy your position. No matter what you do, someone will be unhappy. +
+ [jrahemipour] + But we surely spend money for community members who are not members of the NPO +
+ [DanielC] + So all one can do is minimize the number of unhappy people. +
+ [DanielC] + ok +
+ [DanielC] + Perhaps it's safer to "sponsor" people so they spend less money themselves? Like taking them to OOoCon. +
+ [jrahemipour] + But this is a problem too... we have laws, that we are not allowed to spend too much money for non-members +
+ [DanielC] + jrahemipour: Do you have a lot of complaints over how DE-NL spends money? +
+ [jrahemipour] + DanielC: Yes, we had terrible discussions about it in the beginning of this year +
+ [DanielC] + :-( +
+ [gautehk] + (unstable network ...) +
+ [jrahemipour] + But it was at a time we did not spend much money at all. We were at the beginning of our activities... and it slowed down our motivation... +
+ [DanielC] + jrahemipour: May I ask what the money argument was about? Or do you prefer to not discuss it? +
+ [hfischer] + This is hot stuff. +
+ [DanielC] + ok +
+ [DanielC] + let's not get into it then. +
+ [jrahemipour] + DanielC: No, its ok! But I don`t know the arguments exactly. +
+ [DanielC] + ok +
+ [hfischer] + I for myself can't explain the discussions exactly. +
+ [cloph] + The main problem with this whole discussion was that it was not arguments that were discussed but personalities. +
+ [jrahemipour] + cloph: Yes, that`s right +
+ [DanielC] + :( +
+ [DanielC] + But that's not a fundamental problem with NPO's. That can happen with any kind of decison. +
+ [jrahemipour] + Its a problem to get active people for the work at a NPO... the others mistrusts them and think, they only have personal interests +
+ [DanielC] + oh +
+ [khirano] + Trust, it is important. +
+ [DanielC] + Yes. +
+ [cloph] + The only "money" related thing was that there was a sponsered weekend in a hotel (the owner of the hotel sponsored the stay, the members only had to pay for food/drinking). Members of the e.V. had to bay 5 € less. But this really was a very marginal point of the discussion. +
+ [hfischer] + For me was the foundation of the german NPO not really anchored at the online community. The right communication between a very active group and the online volunteers was missing. So I think. That is my personal opinion, I speak only for my self. +
+ [DanielC] + hfischer: So they felt left out. +
+ [hfischer] + Yes, I think so. +
+ [DanielC] + Ok. +
+ [DanielC] + Well... we've learned something. That when you setup an NPO it's important to involve as much of the community as you can. +
+ [DanielC] + And not just do it yourself. +
+ [hfischer] + DanielC: Yes. +
+ [jrahemipour] + We didn´t do it ourself in germany. But not all community members noticed it +
+ [jrahemipour] + Its a difficult topic... involving the community is very important, but you have to make a decision sometime +
+ [hfischer] + It is a arduous way to communicate special facts all over the net and through mailinglists. Some people want to get results very quick, but that is not even possible in a online community who could speak together realtime. +
+ [khirano] + hfischer: it's true. +
+ [AietKolkhi] + Hello DanielC, Khirano, Helga and everybody. I am sorry I was not able to join earlier. The topic seemedvery interesting, so I will have to see the logs I guess :) +
+ [jrahemipour] + We talked about the foundation for more than 2 Years... +
+ [DanielC] + AietKolkhi: Good to see you. +
+ [DanielC] + jrahemipour: That seems like plenty of time... +
+ [DanielC] + Of course, I don't know the details. +
+ [khirano] + jrahemipour: you started a local foundation actually, it is a good progress. +
+ [khirano] + we start a NPO in Japan and would get some experience. +
+ [jrahemipour] + Another point is, that the people who are not only working online, spent a lot of money for fairs and so on, so they saw many good reasons +
+ [khirano] + We can share our knowledge and many things. +
+ [jrahemipour] + khirano: Yes, certainly. Feel free to ask, if you have questions! +
+ [khirano] + jrahemipour: yes I will :) +
+ [khirano] + I am happy to get some good ideas and experience here :) +
+ [jrahemipour] + khirano: Will you attend the next OOoCon? +
+ [khirano] + the NPO would start next month +
+ [khirano] + I hope. I am writing Business Plan of the NPO now:) +
+ [jrahemipour] + khirano: Oh, good! Please don`t hesitate to contact us +
+ [khirano] + I will make another presentation about the NPO's experience. +
+ [jrahemipour] + That would be very interesting +
+ [khirano] + OK, thanks all, I will go to bed now. +
+ [khirano] + May I see you all at the next OpenOffice.org Conference? +
+ [jrahemipour] + khirano: Goodnight! And thanks for the interesting presentation +
+ [DanielC] + khirano: Good night! +
+ [khirano] + Are you coming? to France or Slovenia? +
+ [DanielC] + Thank you for the talk! +
+ [khirano] + you are welcome +
+ [khirano] + DanielC: I am helped by you :) +
+ [DanielC] + :) +
+ [jrahemipour] + khirano: Yes, I will be there... +
+ [khirano] + my pleasure, all, thanks, good night. +
+ [gautehk] + khirano: Thanks for the talk. It's quite possible I'll come too. +
+ [DanielC] + jrahemipour: Maybe I'll be there this year too. :-) +
+ [DanielC] + I'd love to meet everyone. +
+ [jrahemipour] + DanielC: That would be fine +
+ [khirano] + gautehk: that's good! I will see you face-to-face. it will be nice. +
+ [hfischer] + khirano: Thank you for this presentation. It was very interesting for me. +
+ [DanielC] + clap clap clap clap clap clap +
+ [DanielC] + :-) +
+ [hfischer] + clap clap clap clap clap clap +
+ [khirano] + Thanks all, again, and I am looking forward to seeing you face-to-face, offline :) +
+ [DanielC] + yeah +
+ [khirano] + I would like to hear your voices :) +
+ [jrahemipour] + khirano: Ciao... +
+ [khirano] + I would like to shake hands with you. +
+ [khirano] + good night, all +
+ [hfischer] + Good Night. +
+ [jrahemipour] + Bye all... +
+ [DanielC] + bye +
+ [DanielC] + thank you for comming +
+ [DanielC] + Nice "meeting" you. +
+ [DanielC] + :-) +
+ [jrahemipour] + dito :-) +
+ [jrahemipour] + "See" you next time... +
+ [DanielC] + yeah +
+ [DanielC] + bye bye +
+ [DanielC] + :) +
Propchange: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/log.html ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ svn:eol-style = native Added: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/nicks.pl URL: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/nicks.pl?rev=1196049&view=auto ============================================================================== --- incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/nicks.pl (added) +++ incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/conference/sandbox/nicks.pl Tue Nov 1 15:21:49 2011 @@ -0,0 +1,81 @@ +#!/usr/bin/perl + +use warnings; +use strict; + +# Nice colours: +# +# Red: 800 +# Green: 080 +# Blue: 008 +# Cyan: 088 +# Magneta: 808 +# Yellow: 880 +# Purple: 50a +# LightB: 05a +# LightG: 5a0 +# ------ a37 +# ------ a73 +# ------ 37a +# xxxxxx 458 +# xxxxxx 854 +# xxxxxx 548 +# Mustard: 890 +# Brown: 753 +# LightP: b28 +# Green2: 8a5 +# Purple2: 53a + +my @colours = qw( 800 080 008 088 808 880 50a 05a 5a0 a73 a37 37a + 458 854 548 890 753 b28 8a5 53a ); + +# +# Sanity check. +# +$ARGV[0] or die "Usage: secure filename"; +my $file = $ARGV[0]; +unless (-e $file) { die "No such file: $file" } + +# +# Extract the nicks from the file. +# +open INPUT, "<$file"; +my @lines = (); +while () { + chomp; + my $line = $_; + + # Leave only the nick, which has form + $line =~ s/^\w\w\w\s\d\d\s\d\d:\d\d:\d\d\s<(\w+)>.*/$1/; + + push @lines, $line; +} +close INPUT; + +# +# Sort, and remove duplicate lines. +# +@lines = sort @lines; +my @nicks = ($lines[0]); +for (my $i = 1; $i < @lines; $i++) { + push @nicks, $lines[$i] if ($lines[$i] ne $lines[$i-1]); +} + +# +# Print out. +# + +print < + +Native Language Confederation + + + + +
+

NLC iconNative Language Confederation

+

 

+Louis Suárez-Potts, Lead +

+ + +

About this document

+

This document looks complicated but it is not. Forming a language project and joining the Native Language Confederation is a simple, three-step process. If you get lost or confused at any point, we are happy to guide you. Enjoy!

+

Mission statement

+

The Native-Language Confederation (NLC) is composed of those projects working on all aspects related to the localization and support of OpenOffice.org, including localization, QA, support, documentation, and marketing. Initially conceptualized and led by Guy Capra, its current mandate is to provide a community wherein those involved in furthering OpenOffice.org in all the world's languages can share resources and information. It is important to note that NLC projects are language not region based. It's equally important to note that we really enjoy what we are doing and think it really important.

+

The NLC represents one of the key political elements of the OpenOffice.org Project. Its voice is heard in the Community Council, via the elected members representing the NLC. All developers and other contributors who are members of the NLC are invited to participate in the development projects, and to help create OpenOffice.org.

+

How do the NLC projects differ from the l10n project?

+

The NLC projects complement the l10n project; all actual localization development takes place within the l10n project. The l10n project is a coding project and discussions on the primary list, dev@l10n.openoffice.org, are in English, as they are for all development projects. The NLC projects provide a "home" for developers and other contributors. Mature NLC projects (Level II) work closely not only with the l10n project but also with Marketing and QA, as well as other development projects.

+

Joining the NLC

+
+

Every new localization initiative is invited to form a specific localization project and join the NLC. There are two levels of NLC projects, I, and II. All NLC projects working on localizations (some may only be providing support), regardless of their level, are listed both on the l10n project languages page and on the NLC projects page. The project's level is marked on this page.

+
    +
  • Level I: Localization only. Responsible for issuing and QA'ing, if possible, localized builds.
  • +
  • Level II: Support, documentation, marketing, localization. Responsible for localized builds, QA, as well as related information and marketing.
  • +
+

To learn how to start a new NLC project, see the Protocols for Project Proposal.

+
+

Project Guidelines

+
+
    +
  1. Project creation. We have to create the project for you. There are some considerations, such as the name. +
      +
    • Projects should be named by the two letters composing the ISO code for the language (not country). If there is no ISO code available, then a combination of two other letters should be made, provided that no conflict with an existing project name nor any other ISO code for language should exist.
    • +
    +
  2. +
      +
    • In some cases the ISO code for a language is not known or familiar to the people speaking the language, to the point where such a code would hinder the ability of the new project to attract volunteers (i.e., lack of identification, knowledge and advertising of the project). Provided that no conflict with an existing project name nor any ISO code for language should exist, the new project can choose its own code. However this project cannot choose its code on a geographical basis only; that is the project cannot name itself only according to the country criteria. In case of dispute the NLC leads will name the project themselves.
    • +
    +
  3. Content. The Protocols give guidelines on content for all projects. But for Level II projects, and for those projects focused on support and documentation only, there are templates you are encouraged to use (and enhance). These are located in the Files and Documents section of the NLC homepage, http://native-lang.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList. +
    +
      +
    • We ask that you use CSS when possible. For guidelines and information on how the OpenOffice.org web infrastructure (SourceCast) works, please read the general Style Guide, http://www.openoffice.org/styles/. As well, don't hesitate to use the site help in on the left navbar after you log .
    • +
    +
    +
  4. +
+
+

Moving from Level I to Level II

+

Moving from Level I to II is a significant undertaking but it is worth it. Once a NLC project has deemed itself to be mature, the lead should send a note to dev@native-lang.openoffice.org indicating the desire and ability. The NLC lead and co-lead must approve of the move prior to its being formally included as a Level II project. Upon approval, the NLC project will be listed as offering a supported localization on the OpenOffice.org homepage, http://www.openoffice.org/, and its new status will be reflected on the other relevant pages.

+

Responsibilities of Level II projects

+
+

Level II projects are centers of community and activity.  They offer support to users of OpenOffice.org, coordinate development, marketing, and help in the QA (testing and quality assurance) of the file.  In this way, they ensure their community that the product fully meets their needs.  The process for QA'ing OpenOffice.org is explained in the QA Project localization pages.  Ideally, all localized files should be QA'd and the status of the QA'ing should be indicated on the QA Track page.  If you need information or assistance in setting up a QA effort for localized builds, send a note to dev@native-lang.openoffice.org.

+

Marketing OpenOffice.org is a complex affair. Much of it is done locally.  However, it is important to coordinate both with other members of the NLC as well as with the overall Marketing Project, which hosts the MarCon list for global marketing notices. It is especially important to synchronize work around the time of new releases. To find out when a release is due, check with the releases@openoffice.org list. For marketing, we also use com@native-lang.openoffice.org.

+

Note: All Level II project leads (and co-leads) must be subscribed to dev@native-lang.openoffice.org. We hold general discussions on this list.

+
+

General Guidelines for NLC projects

+
    +
  • Level I project engaged in localization only are obligated to use the l10n development list, dev@l10n.openoffice.org. They are also urged to use the l10n Issue Tracker. As needed, more components are made available. The point is to locate, as much as possible, all OpenOffice.org material on the OpenOffice.org website.
  • +
  • On occasion, we understand that it is impossible for a NLC project to use the provided mail lists and other tools. In these cases, we ask that the project provide monthly (once a month) updates of activity and accomplishments, as well as links to the active project on the OpenOffice.org website.
  • +
  • For those projects engaged in QA, they should follow the guidelines stipulated on the QA project related to localizations. These are listed here: http://qa.openoffice.org/localized/index.html
  • +
  • All Level II NLC projects should, at least once a month, post a brief status report on ongoing activities to dev@native-lang.openoffice.org.
  • +
+

Project terminus

+

Sometimes interest dies in a project. If a NLC project has been inactive—no localization, no significant mail list activity, no visible work—for six (6) months, the NLC lead, Louis Suarez-Potts, will begin the process of closing the project. We begin this process only after having endeavored to contact the lead(s) and try otherwise to revive the project. If nothing works, due warnings will be issued, and the project will be closed; but we will make every effort to preserve valuable material.

+

Problems? Disputes?

+
+

For any sort of problem encountered in setting up or managing the project, please contact the leads of NLC and the discussion list, dev@native-lang.openoffice.org.

+

Disputes sometimes arise. The OpenOffice.org Guidelines suggest how disputes related to management and leadership are to be resolved. Disputes should be settled first within the particular project.

+

Most changes in leadership are peaceable. In cases of disputes, the project members should set up a vote (the +1 /-1 process is recommended but not required). If a qualified majority of the registered members of the native-lang project agree on their lead's dismissal, the project's lead will have lost his or her position.

+

Note: As with any project on OpenOffice.org, all NLC project members are entitled to bring grievances before the Community Council. To do so, they should submit the grievance as an agenda item to the wiki.

+
+

Obligatory Mail Lists

+ +

The subscription to these two lists is mandatory if you are a native-lang project lead.

+ +

 

+
+$Date: 2010/11/04 19:36:00 $ $Revision: 1.46 $ +

 

+
+

 

+
+ Propchange: incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/native-lang/index.html ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ svn:eol-style = native