From Shanti Subramanyam <shanti.subraman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: image files with upper case file name do not exist
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2010 05:37:13 GMT
Thanks for digging into this. In the earlier version we had a single
directory filestore so simply chmoding it upfront (as is documented) works.
However, after creating the directory hierarchy in 0.2, this is an issue. I
have run into this but kind of forgot because we typically do not reload the
filestore very often. When we do, it is done manually. I suspect others may
be doing something similar.
We should at least document this issue.

Shanti

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM, ZD Yu <zdyu2000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Finally I found the root cause of my problem. This is because after
> reloading the filesstore, the sub-directories under filestore will be erased
> and recreated by the reloading user (i.e., root), so the Apache processes
> (run as daemon user) do not have write permisstion to the filestore.
>
> If users choose to reload filestore manually, they can "chmod -R 777
> filestore" everytime. But if users choose to reload filestore automatically
> in Faban UI, they do not have a chance to chmod at all. Should this be a
> bug? I am very curious why it has not been reported before...
>
> Thanks, ZD
>

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:57 AM, Shanti Subramanyam <
> shanti.subramanyam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The geocoder does not write images to the filestore. However, if the calls
>> to the geocoder fail, the Add* operations fail causing the image file
>> mess-up you are seeing. Can you  look in your summary report and see if the
>> Add operations are being recorded as failed ? I'm wondering if there is some
>> bug that is causing the transaction not to be rolled back cleanly.
>>
>> Configure the geocoder as documented. You need an instance of Tomcat
>> running. We typically use one of the driver systems itself to run the
>> geocoder.
>>
>> Seeing connections in TIME_WAIT itself is not a problem. It becomes a
>> problem only if you're trying to create a very large number of connections.
>> The default time_wait_interval is too large for benchmarks. You can reduce
>> this at the OS level.
>>
>> Shanti
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:51 AM, ZD Yu <zdyu2000@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have found this error was caused by the communication between the
>>> webserver and geocoder server.
>>>
>>> In my setup, I installed the geocoder server on db system (a separate
>>> system from web server). During the workload is running, I observed a lot of
>>> TCP connections to db:8080 with TIME_WAIT status on the web server. I guess
>>> the response from geocoder is too slow, so that some operations were not
>>> executed (like writing image file to filestore).
>>>
>>> To verify it, I changed the /etc/hosts file on web server, to point
>>> GEOCODER_HOST to 127.0.0.1 (i.e, the web server itself, on which there is NO
>>> geocoder server running). After the change, all the error messages were
>>> gone.
>>>
>>> The question is: How should I configure the geocoder server properly to
>>> avoid this error?

it seems your DB is out of sync.