Thanks for the tips!
That's exactly what was happening! I couldn't find out how to change my locale so I reinstalled Debian using english locale :)

regards,
--
Bruno Guimarães Sousa
www.ifba.edu.br

2010/5/20 Amanda Waite <amandarwaite@googlemail.com>
I agree totally with Akara that it's a locale issue. If MySQL is correctly setup for your locale you should be able to get around this specific issue but as Akara rightly points out you may then run into other locale related issues that are not so easy to resolve.

Amanda