From Vasileios Kontorinis <bkontori...@gmail.com>
Subject Parsing Olio runtimeStats
Date Wed, 05 May 2010 19:12:39 GMT
Akara and Shanti hi,
    I am parsing the runtimeStats from the driver.log file and I run into
this interesting issue.
In the output for *steady state* I get "-" for the response time when there
are no successful operations since the last time runtimeStats were printed.
This can happen for two reasons:
1) The interval for printing the runtimeStats is small  (in my case 5secs)
and some operations, especially the ones that take long and have small
frequency in matrix (add event, add user) just never happened.
2) There are a bunch of requests going on and none of them is successful.
This can happen when there is no sufficient memory in the machine. In that
case there is lots of swapping, the cpu goes to 100% utilization and all the
operations time-out.

Is there any small change I can do to distinguish between the two cases?
Maybe printing a small "t" when there are many requests timing out, so that
I can distinguish between the two cases? Any ideas are welcome.

One more thing. I use the variableLoad setting and in order  to know how
many users are simulated while the benchmark run, I  parse log.xml looking
for "Active threads: ". The problem is that log.xml is big especially when
many requests timeout. Is it easy to also log the changes of active threads
in the drive.log file ??

Thanks
P.s. An obvious solution would be to increase the interval. However, We want
to make fine-grain decisions in terms of virtual machine resources and we
need a small interval.
Kontorinis Vasileios
Phd student, University of California San Diego
San Diego, CA 92122
Cell. phone: (858) 717 6899
bkontorinis@gmail.com, vkontori@ucsd.edu