From Nicholas Evans <nick.ev...@inology.nl>
Subject ODF Performance
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:25:41 GMT
Dear ODF users,

For a project I am working on, I am using the ODF toolkit to create
spreadsheets that can become rather large (>10 000 rows).  I have noticed
that as the spreadsheet gets larger, writing the rows becomes very slow.  I
have put together a class containing 4 different ways of writing 10 000
rows of 10 columns to a spreadsheet.  The fastest method (using
getRowByIndex and then getCellByIndex) takes 70 seconds.  The methods that
use getRowList and getNextRow are much slower, taking about 170 seconds
each.  The method using the Iterator<Row> seems to freeze for large inputs,
and doesn't behave as expected for small inputs.

I would really like to improve this performance.  I think this could be
done by manipulating the DOM directly.  However, it would great if there
was a way of using the Simple API that I have overlooked that could help me.

Does anyone have experience with improving the performance of the ODF
toolkit in the context of writing rows to an ods spreadsheet?

Regards,
Nick