From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Update page count in generated document
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2012 15:29:21 GMT
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Asier <avsgi09@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a generated document. A the footer of each page there's the typical "Page 1 of
20"
> text. At some point a long list of specifications are added and some new pages are
> appended at the end of the document, but the page count and the index doesn't get
> refreshed, so at the footer I get something like "Page 24 of 20" and the index doesn't
get
> updated to reflect the new sections in the document.
>
> How can I force an update of all the page count footers and the index?

An ODF document -- as just a static document on disk -- has no concept
of a page.  A page only exists when the contents of a document are
rendered according to a layout algorithm, taking into account page
size, printer and font metrics, etc.

So if you are using a tool that modifies the file format directly,
without a full rendering of the document, it is hard to determine
absolute page numbers or page counts.  However, once you load the
generated document in an editor it should re-render the document and
calculate and update the page breaks, page numbers, page counts, etc.

-Rob