From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TextDocument.getListIterator() doesn't include lists in Sections
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:53:00 GMT
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:56 AM, Svante Schubert
<svante.schubert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> I would bet it is a bug.
>
> We can not be sure, as it seems the former programmer had forgotten to
> add some JavaDoc to tell us the reasoning behind the design.
> Fact is the method being used "findNext(TextListElement ..)" from
> AbstractListContainer is only searching on root level elements for lists.
> Instead of a iteration an improvement could be to traverse the ODF XML
> tree by recursion, or do the finding once (e.g. during parsing) and keep
> a reference table up to date during run-time.
>
> Sorry, not quite familiar with this module of this project. The Simple
> API was once forked and developed by IBM and later rejoined.
> By this split, a strict code review was avoided (e.g. JavaDoc otherwise
> MUST had public methods), as downside of their liberties there will be
> now no support by myself to problems they might have caused.

To be more accurate:  all of the modules (ODFDOM. Simple API,
Validator, XLSTRunner, etc.) were once separate projects at the ODF
Toolkit Union.  They each had their own developers working on them,
and each project had its own pace and standards for making releases.
Now we're at Apache, combined into a single project, delivered as a
single project, using a single list for user questions, etc.

Support is by volunteers.  The nice thing about a Java library is that
most developers who use the library are also capable of reporting
bugs, and many of them are also able to debug a little and submit
patches, or even get more involved in the project.  We're very happy
to see more developers helping with the project.  So if there is
something you want to do, ask questions.   We'll try to help you
figure out how to do it.

-Rob