From "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ODF Command Line Tools -- Request for community feedback
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 08:50:43 GMT

On 5/29/2012 3:49 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> For example, does
>> JRuby pre-req a JDK version?
>>
>> -Rob
>>
> I am 100% sure it runs both on the propietary Java one gets from java.com,
> (1.6 onwards, including JDK7) and also on OpenJDK (1.7 here on Linux).
>
> I know because I have run JRuby on both. It' s safe to say JRE or JDK 1.6
> or higher is a requirement. All previous Java versions are EOL' d.
If possible at all, the base line support should be Java 1.4 as long as possible as there
are still
quite a few Java deployments at that level (also 1.5) in the market despite Sun/Oracle putting
the
EOL death spell on Java 1.4 and 1.5. (Of course, support for 1.4 can only be granted, if it
is
possible to compile the ODF toolkit for target 1.4 and not using Java methods only available
in Java
1.5 or higher, as <http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/odftoolkit-release-guide.html>
mandates
1.5 as a minimum JDK level.)