From "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <>
Subject Re: ODF Command Line Tools -- Request for community feedback
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 10:00:06 GMT

On 10.05.2012 08:06, Noah Tilton wrote:
... cut ...
>> Some quick comments
>> You might want to take a look at the Bean Scripting Framework, part of
>> Apache Commons:
>> "BSF permits any Java application to be implemented in part (or
>> dynamically extended) by a language that is embedded within it. This
>> is achieved by providing an API that permits calling scripting
>> language engines from within Java, as well as an object registry that
>> exposes Java objects to these scripting language engines."
>> I wonder if it would be possible to use BSF to make the DSL approach easier?
> Sure, the BSF is a good way to do embedding, although there are other
> options, depending on the scripting language.  If we go the DSL route,
> I guess a lot depends on which scripting language we choose and what
> their community offers.  I like ruby, so my vote is for JRuby, any
> takers?
If contemplating of using BSF, then look at "javax.script". BSF 3.x is an opensource implementation
of "javax.script" (a.k.a. JSR-223), which makes this framework available to Java 1.4 and 1.5
installations (javax.script got introduced with Java 1.6).

Then, any Java-based (scripting) language like JRuby or any scripting language with a Java
like ooRexx can be immediately put to work to serve as the language to create scripts that
the flow of control. This probably implies that you actually would implement a "super-package"
the ODF Toolkit which makes its functionality easier (?) available one way or the other. (BSF2.x
JSR-223/BSF3.x scripting languages are already able to interact directly with the ODF Toolkit.)

View raw message