From "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ODF Command Line Tools -- Request for community feedback
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 10:00:06 GMT

On 10.05.2012 08:06, Noah Tilton wrote:
... cut ...
>> Some quick comments
>>
>> You might want to take a look at the Bean Scripting Framework, part of
>> Apache Commons:
>>
>> http://commons.apache.org/bsf/
>>
>> "BSF permits any Java application to be implemented in part (or
>> dynamically extended) by a language that is embedded within it. This
>> is achieved by providing an API that permits calling scripting
>> language engines from within Java, as well as an object registry that
>> exposes Java objects to these scripting language engines."
>>
>> I wonder if it would be possible to use BSF to make the DSL approach easier?
> Sure, the BSF is a good way to do embedding, although there are other
> options, depending on the scripting language.  If we go the DSL route,
> I guess a lot depends on which scripting language we choose and what
> their community offers.  I like ruby, so my vote is for JRuby, any
> takers?
If contemplating of using BSF, then look at "javax.script". BSF 3.x is an opensource implementation
of "javax.script" (a.k.a. JSR-223), which makes this framework available to Java 1.4 and 1.5
installations (javax.script got introduced with Java 1.6).

Then, any Java-based (scripting) language like JRuby or any scripting language with a Java
interface
like ooRexx can be immediately put to work to serve as the language to create scripts that
implement
the flow of control. This probably implies that you actually would implement a "super-package"
of
the ODF Toolkit which makes its functionality easier (?) available one way or the other. (BSF2.x
and
JSR-223/BSF3.x scripting languages are already able to interact directly with the ODF Toolkit.)

---rony