From "Uwe Bosecker" <u.bosec...@gmx.de>
Subject Update VariableField doesn't work
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 11:04:16 GMT
Hi there,

my intention is to manipulate some OpenOffice Text Document (.odt) files.
I try to do this using simple-odf-0.7-incubating.jar
and Java 1.6.0_24 (Eclipse Indigo, Windows 7).

The documents are prepared and pre-filled, no additional text has to be
added. The odt-files contain bookmarks and some variable fields.
These bookmarks or fields may either be empty or initialized with some
strings, date, numeric values ...

I just want to manipulate the values of some fields and leave the rest of
the document untouched.

So I used the following code sample to load an odt-file with some pages and
different variable fields, one of them called "NumVar", and tried to change
the numeric value of this field using the getVariableFieldByName(..)-method
and the updateField(..)-method. Finally I saved the file.

        try {
            TextDocument doc = TextDocument.loadDocument("resource/sample.odt");
            VariableField field = doc.getVariableFieldByName( "NumVar" );
            OdfElement elem = doc.getContentRoot();
            field.updateField("123", elem);
            doc.save("resource/sample2.odt");

        } catch (Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }
    }

The odt-file could be loaded successfully, VariableField was found,
updateField-method passed without exception, but the resulting sample2-file
has not been "changed", means the value of "NumVar" is the same as before.

I suppose the error is in:
            OdfElement elem = doc.getContentRoot();
            field.updateField("123", elem);

Which OdfElement-instance has to be used
Seems ContextRoot isn't the right one!?

And one more question: can odftoolkit/simple-odf handle bookmarks too?

Thanks for any help.
Uwe

P.S.: I tried the cookbook-sample (8.1.1) and it worked,
but I do not need any additional text or paragraph.