From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Set page orientation to landscape
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 16:01:35 GMT
On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 3:49 AM,  <fabien@gouban.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using simple ODF API to create a Text document.
>
> How can i set the page orientation to landscape ?
>
> I checked the javadoc but did not find anything.

Easiest way to debug issues like this is to create an ODF document
with your word processor each way, and then compare the markup.  When
I do that I see that portrait documents have this in styles.xml:

 style:num-format="1" style:print-orientation="portrait"
fo:margin-top="0.7874in"
 fo:margin-bottom="0.7874in" fo:margin-left="0.7874in"
fo:margin-right="0.7874in"
 style:writing-mode="lr-tb" style:footnote-max-height="0in">

and landscape documents have this:

 style:num-format="1" style:print-orientation="landscape"
fo:margin-top="0.7874in"
 fo:margin-bottom="0.7874in" fo:margin-left="0.7874in"
fo:margin-right="0.7874in"
 style:writing-mode="lr-tb" style:footnote-max-height="0in">

That is for US 8.5"x11" paper.  A4 would obviously have different dimensions.

I don't think we have a Simple API that wraps this functionality.  But
I think it would be great if we had the ability to set page size, and
have some pre-defined sizes to pick from, like common ISO, DIN, JISC
and US sizes, envelopes, etc.  And another function to specify
orientation.

An alternative approach would be to access this via the lower-level ODFDOM:

http://odfdom.odftoolkit.org/0.8.7/odfdom/apidocs/org/odftoolkit/odfdom/dom/element/style/StylePageLayoutPropertiesElement.html

Regards,

-Rob