From Neelima <neelim...@gmail.com>
Subject Memory issues using Simple ODF
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 07:12:53 GMT
Hi,

I have used ODF API for writing information into an ODS file. Following are
the steps:

1. Load an ODS document from a location which acts as a template f or
writing information. (Spead across different workSheets)

     *SpreadsheetDocument ods =
 SpreadsheetDocument.loadDocument("Sample.ods");*
*
*
2. Load the record from the database.
3. Write information of retrieved record from the database across different
spreadsheets.
        * //fetch rows and cell*
*       cell.setStringValue("value");*
*
*
4. Append columns/rows when necessary as I progress loading each record and
write to the ODS file.
 *      Table sheet = ods.getSheetByIndex(0);*
*       sheet.appendColumn();*
*       //when I need to append rows*
*        sheet.appendRows(2);*
*       //when I have to insertRows*
*        sheet.insertRowsBefore(8,2);*

5. Repeat steps 2-4  until all records are written to the database. At the
end save the document to the desired location
                *ods.save("Sample_Output.ods");*
*                ods.close();*
*
*
When our program is running and when we calculate memory usage by object ods,
for every item its increasing to many folds and finally if we have around
500 records to be written to the file, it runs to OutOfMemory error even
with a JVM heap size of 512M. We have a requirement wherein we have to write
atleast a couple of 1000 records to the file.
Below are some of the readings we have taken for the memory occupied by ods
object (all in bytes): For 25 items it took almost 19MB of memory.

*Memory used for item start when template ods file is loaded : 70904*
*
Memory used for item 1 is::6582856
Memory used for item 2 is::7153712
Memory used for item 3 is::7693304
Memory used for item 4 is::8229752
Memory used for item 5 is::8790632
Memory used for item 6 is::9330904
Memory used for item 7 is::9872280
Memory used for item 8 is::10403760
Memory used for item 9 is::10926408
Memory used for item 10 is::11444312
Memory used for item 11 is::11975584
Memory used for item 12 is::12569264
Memory used for item 13 is::13111056
Memory used for item 14 is::13630656
Memory used for item 15 is::14162408
Memory used for item 16 is::14619104
Memory used for item 17 is::15137664
Memory used for item 18 is::15655856
Memory used for item 19 is::16175768
Memory used for item 20 is::16687440
Memory used for item 21 is::17192536
Memory used for item 22 is::17712152
Memory used for item 23 is::18227080
Memory used for item 24 is::18867536
Memory used for item 25 is::19372664
Memory used for item after all items are written and saved to file: 19180232
*

Please advise if am missing something in the API which needs to be used.

Thanks & Regards,
Neelima