incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Test cases for defect reports -- would this work?
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2014 16:46:54 GMT
Sometimes we get defect reports with just a snippet of code.
Sometimes it is a little better, even a main() routine, but it still
takes time to get it to build correctly.

What if we requested defect reports to be test cases that could be
dropped into our Maven directory structure directly?

For example, a defect report would be a patch that put a test case
into /odftoolkit/simple/src/test/java/org/odftoolkit/simple/defects/MyDefectReport.java.
 Documents related to the defect report would go in
/odftoolkit/simple/src/test/resources/defects/MyDefectReport.odt.

If we did this, then verifying a new defect report would be as simple
as applying a patch and running Maven.   And once the test is fixed
the test case could be moved into a normal directory (not /defects) so
it will enhance our test cases.

Would this work?

The one thing I was not sure about was whether there was an easy way
to disable these defect-report test cases so they did not cause the
build to fail.   I think we would want to distinguish in the build
between regression tests and tests related to new defect reports.

Any ideas?

Regards,

-Rob