incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Ideas for Growing the ODF Toolkit Community
Date Wed, 01 Jan 2014 18:09:38 GMT
I'd like to see if we can grow the community a bit more in the next
month or so.  We've been a very quiet project compared to some.  We
have just two public mailing lists, no blog, no new articles written
about us.  If we can better publicize the project then we will grow.

I think of a pyramid.  At the base are the users, those who get some
benefit from using the ODF Toolkit.  Some fraction of the users will
contact the project, maybe submit a bug report.  They also help spread
the word about the project to their colleges.  Some fraction of these
"engaged" users will then send a patch or express interesting in
helping with the project.  That's the next level up on the pyramid.
And some fraction of those developers will become committers.

The idea of this analogy is if we grow the base, we grow the whole
thing, including contributors and committers.

So a suggestion on how we can make a big advance:

1) Let's get out a new release in January.

2) In parallel we can revise our "get involved" page:

http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/get-involved.html

For example, do we have any specific ideas for what new developers
can/should work on?  Obviously bug reports. But do we have a "wish
list" of possible enhancements/features that we should list?  It makes
it easier for a new volunteer if we can point to some ideas.

If others can contribute ideas I can edit them on the website.

3)  To attract more users we need an up to date tutorial or demo.
Maybe what we have is fine?  Or do we need something "sexier"?

4) With the new release I can help publicize the Toolkit and the
project on my personal blog.  And we can all help in this area with
Twitter, etc.  If we want we can request a project blog via
blogs.apache.org.  This have many readers as well.

Any other ideas?

-Rob