incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Volunteering for ODF Toolkit
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 18:44:43 GMT
On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 4:42 AM, Nicholas Evans <nick.evans@inology.nl> wrote:
> Dear ODF Toolkit developers,
>
> I am responding to the email recently sent by Rob Weir calling for
> volunteers for the ODF toolkit project.  I am a java/scala developer and am
> currently using the ODF toolkit (both the Simple API and the DOM API) in
> one of my projects at work.  I think this is a very valuable resource and
> it would be a great shame if it were to disappear.
>
> I would very much like to help contribute to the project, both to help the
> toolkit survive and grow but also to hopefully improve my own programming
> skills (I have been a professional java developer for just under two years
> now).
>
> I look forward to hearing from the community how I can help contribute.

Hello Nick,

Thanks for contacting us.  The first thing you'll want to do is to
subscribe to the mailing list by sending a note to
odf-dev-subscribe@incubator.apache.org.

Have you built the ODF Toolkit from source before?  Or were you using
the pre-built binaries?

If you haven't built from source, you should give that a try.  It is
really easy on Linux, with the steps outlined here:

http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/source.html

On Windows it is a little more work installing the pre-req's, namely a
JDK and Apache Maven and setting up your paths.  But once that is done
building is as easy as typing "mvn install" from the source directory.

Give that a try and ask questions on this mailing list if you have any
questions.

Once you have that done then you can decide how you want to
contribute.  There are various places where we could use help:

1) Writing more unit tests.  This is an easy way to get started, while
getting familiar with the code.

2) Verifying bug reports, fixing bugs

3) Improving the JavaDoc

4) Improving performance