incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jan 2014 ([ppmc])
Date Wed, 01 Jan 2014 17:58:56 GMT
On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 5:56 AM, Florian Hopf <fhopf@apache.org> wrote:
> On 26.12.2013 21:11, Rob Weir wrote:
>> Happy almost New Year for everyone!
>
> Same here!
>

>> Can we check in, to see who is still here?  It would be good to decide
>> what we want to report this time, whether we can outline any steps
>> towards graduation, or whether we want to propose some other end-state
>> for the podling.   I think we have some really good, important code
>> here. We certainly get questions from a good number of users.  That
>> validates that it is useful.   But if we want to graduate then we
>> really need to amp up the community, show some growth in contributors
>> and committers and get out another release or two.
>>

> I agree that the situation is rather difficult. The project is used and
> useful and the only of its kind I am aware of. There is definitively enough
> interest to keep it alive.
>
> For me personally it is difficult to spend a lot of time on the project as I
> don't use it in any of my paid work. I like to help with small fixes but I
> definitively cannot be the driving person.

If we're doing it right we should not need a single person driving
everything.  But for a release we need someone to take the lead as
Release Manager.  But that doesn't need to be a permanent position.
We could take turns.

> We were planning to do a release shortly after our last release which
> unfortunately didn't happen (which I blame on me as I wanted to fix this bug
> first to get it in the release:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODFTOOLKIT-362)

So what is the status of this?   Do we want to have another release
now?  We had a few users who were looking for a version with fewer
pre-req JARs.  I think we fixed that issues, yes?

> Last year I started with the POI adapter but this is still in a very early
> stage as I couldn't commit as much time as I would have liked. I will see
> that I commit it to trunk as soon as possible.
>
> Speaking of POI I still think becoming a subproject of POI would be the best
> solution. Odftoolkit is very close to its goals and parts of the user bases
> are the same I guess. But I have no idea how a transition could work and
> what we need to do for it. Maybe our POI mentors could clarify if this would
> be possible and what we would need to do?

No project is going to do the work for us.  So even if we went to POI
we would still need another developers working on it.

> What I propose to do in the short term:
> * Move the part of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODFTOOLKIT-362 that
> is still unresolved to a new issue (it is rather unrelated to the original
> issue anyway)

+1

> * Commit the code for the POI adapter to trunk

+1

> * Have a release 0.6.1 in January

Or even call it 0.7?

If we can do this, I can additionally work to attract more developers.
  I'll start a new thread on this, but the general idea would be to
publicize the ODF Toolkit a little more and have a call for
volunteers.

Regards,

-Rob