incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Hopf <fh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Test cases for defect reports -- would this work?
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2014 16:36:22 GMT
Hi,

On 17.01.2014 17:46, Rob Weir wrote:
 > What if we requested defect reports to be test cases that could be
 > dropped into our Maven directory structure directly?
 >
 > For example, a defect report would be a patch that put a test case
 > into
/odftoolkit/simple/src/test/java/org/odftoolkit/simple/defects/MyDefectReport.java.
 >   Documents related to the defect report would go in
 > /odftoolkit/simple/src/test/resources/defects/MyDefectReport.odt.

I think this would be great for us developing on the project but I am
not sure if this would have a negative impact on users reporting issues.
I would appreciate to make it as easy as possible for users to
communicate issues to us. I think Svante has been requesting tests for
issues for  a while (see even his last mail).

Some of the issues are rather hard to formulate in a real unit test.
Adding a document that reproduces the issue is easier but I am not sure
if we want to have test documents in SVN for all issues (making it
larger and increasing test execution time).

That said I think a lot of projects are only fixing issues if there is a
test case that reproduces the issue.

 > The one thing I was not sure about was whether there was an easy way
 > to disable these defect-report test cases so they did not cause the
 > build to fail.   I think we would want to distinguish in the build
 > between regression tests and tests related to new defect reports.

If it is a new test on an existing test case (new test method on a *Test
class) we can just use the @Ignore annotation, possibly with a text that
contains the issue number. For completely new test classes I think this
is not possible (each Test class needs to have at least one not-ignored
test method). We could always just request the test as a patch and only
integrate it in the sources when it is fixed.

Regards
Florian

--
Florian Hopf