incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Ian C <...@amham.net>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jan 2014 ([ppmc])
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2013 12:01:01 GMT
Hi Guys,

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Florian Hopf <fhopf@apache.org> wrote:

> On 26.12.2013 21:11, Rob Weir wrote:
> > Happy almost New Year for everyone!
>
> Same here!
>
> best wishes to one and all.

> > Can we check in, to see who is still here?  It would be good to decide
> > what we want to report this time, whether we can outline any steps
> > towards graduation, or whether we want to propose some other end-state
> > for the podling.   I think we have some really good, important code
> > here. We certainly get questions from a good number of users.  That
> > validates that it is useful.   But if we want to graduate then we
> > really need to amp up the community, show some growth in contributors
> > and committers and get out another release or two.
> >

> I agree that the situation is rather difficult. The project is used and
> useful and the only of its kind I am aware of. There is definitively enough
> interest to keep it alive.
>
> For me personally it is difficult to spend a lot of time on the project as
> I don't use it in any of my paid work. I like to help with small fixes but
> I definitively cannot be the driving person.
>
> We were planning to do a release shortly after our last release which
> unfortunately didn't happen (which I blame on me as I wanted to fix this
> bug first to get it in the release: https://issues.apache.org/
> jira/browse/ODFTOOLKIT-362)
>
> Last year I started with the POI adapter but this is still in a very early
> stage as I couldn't commit as much time as I would have liked. I will see
> that I commit it to trunk as soon as possible.
>
> Speaking of POI I still think becoming a subproject of POI would be the
> best solution. Odftoolkit is very close to its goals and parts of the user
> bases are the same I guess. But I have no idea how a transition could work
> and what we need to do for it. Maybe our POI mentors could clarify if this
> would be possible and what we would need to do?
>
> What I propose to do in the short term:
> * Move the part of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODFTOOLKIT-362that is still
unresolved to a new issue (it is rather unrelated to the
> original issue anyway)
> * Commit the code for the POI adapter to trunk
> * Have a release 0.6.1 in January
>
> Regards
> Florian
>
> --
> Florian Hopf
> Freelance Software Developer
>
> http://blog.florian-hopf.de

I don't really have any strong feelings about where it ends up or if it
stays as its own project. But it is most certainly a useful project.
Like others I would like to spend more time on it...

As an aside I did add a couple of minor fixes and tests to a couple of bug
reports but they're still sitting there since things have been pretty quiet
around here.
No big deal.

--
Cheers,