incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Hopf <mailingli...@florian-hopf.de>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jan 2014 ([ppmc])
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2013 10:52:22 GMT
On 26.12.2013 21:11, Rob Weir wrote:
> Happy almost New Year for everyone!

Same here!

> Can we check in, to see who is still here?  It would be good to decide
> what we want to report this time, whether we can outline any steps
> towards graduation, or whether we want to propose some other end-state
> for the podling.   I think we have some really good, important code
> here. We certainly get questions from a good number of users.  That
> validates that it is useful.   But if we want to graduate then we
> really need to amp up the community, show some growth in contributors
> and committers and get out another release or two.

I agree that the situation is rather difficult. The project is used and
useful and the only of its kind I am aware of. There is definitively
enough interest to keep it alive.

For me personally it is rather difficult to spend a lot of time on the
project as I don't use it in any of my paid work. I like to help with
small fixes but I definitively cannot be the driving person.

We were planning to do a release shortly after our last release which
unfortunately didn't happen (which I blame on me as I wanted to fix this
bug first to get it in the release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODFTOOLKIT-362)

Last year I started with the POI adapter but this is still in a very
early stage as I couldn't commit as much time as I would have liked. I
will see that I commit it to trunk as soon as possible.

Speaking of POI I still think becoming a subproject of POI would be the
best solution. Odftoolkit is very close to its goals and parts of the
user bases are the same I guess. But I have no idea how a transition
could work and what we need to do for it. Maybe our POI mentors could
clarify if this would be possible and what we would need to do?

What I propose to do in the short term:
* Move the part of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODFTOOLKIT-362
that is still unresolved to a new issue (it is rather unrelated to the
original issue anyway)
* Commit the code for the POI adapter to trunk
* Have a release 0.6.1 in January

Regards
Florian

--