incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How does a correct copyright is set?
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2013 16:45:53 GMT
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Svante Schubert
<svante.schubert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello legal experts,
>
> we would like to use a 3rd party library 'java-rdfa' and reference the
> download of the binaries via Maven.
>
> The maintainer is willing to assist us, if we tell him explicitly what
> has to be changed, but there is still some confusion about it.
>
> Could give us some insights, please!
>
> Some details about the problems in the mail below.

Summarizing the question:

The category-a list [1] currently includes:

"BSD (without advertising clause)."

It links to the 2-clause BSD [2].

Our understanding is that the 4-clause BSD ("original BSD") [3] is the
one that is not permitted.

But nothing is said about the newer 3-clause BSD ("simplified BSD")  [4]

Have we categorized the 3-clause BSD before?  Has this not come up?

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a
[2] http://opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses#4-clause_license_.28original_.22BSD_License.22.29
[4] http://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause