incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: How does a correct copyright is set?
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2013 10:45:55 GMT
On Mon, 14 Oct 2013, Svante Schubert wrote:
> Am 14.10.2013 12:31, schrieb Svante Schubert:
>> I am no source code expert, IMHO I believe the pom.xml reference should
>> be sufficient, but there might be a codex or legal guideline for
>> copyright. Is there one?
> The above as separate question.
> I am aware of the following three places for copyright, what if they are
> contradicting, is there an order, or evensome legal guideline in the web
> and/or for Apache?

Rules for Apache are stricter than most other code hosting locations.
However, these rules at Apache make life much easier and simpler for
downstream users, and avoids the confusion that you're currently facing
trying to use someone else's code!

> 1) Source Header - Is there an URL allowed or does it have to be full
> text. Does it have to be in the beginning?
> 2) Root level of the project - is the name of the file always LICENSE.TXT
> 3) Pom.xml some projects are loaded from the web. I have trusted this
> alone. What are the precedences?

For an ASF project, see the links under
http://www.apache.org/dev/#licenses . Basic answer is that for an official
ASF project, it needs to be the full header, there needs to be a LICENSE +
NOTICE file (.txt extension optional), and the POM (for java projects)
needs to list the license details and organisation too (often done by
inheriting from the Apache parent pom)

Nick