incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: October board report overdue
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 20:44:13 GMT

On Oct 9, 2013, at 10:46 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Am 08.10.2013 15:34, schrieb Nick Burch:
>> On Tue, 8 Oct 2013, Svante Schubert wrote:
>>> I realized, I do not have access to
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/October2013
>>
>> If you let me know your username for the incubator wiki, then I'll
>> grant you permissions to it
> svanteschubert
>>
>>> The branch with all my work of the past year (branch, no fork - as my
>>> current employer desire to contribute back) is not merged back and due
>>> to work load is likely to be merged back first quarter next year.
>>
>> If you feel you need a branch, it's generally best to have the branch
>> be in the main svn repo, rather than an external one. If it's in the
>> ASF one, then everyone can see your changes. That means people can
>> offer advice, people can see there's activity, and if someone really
>> wants a feature or fix now then they can get at it. Sadly, external
>> brances loose all of those community enhancing things :(
>>
>> Is there any chance you could move to developing your new work here?
>>
> Yes,  I aim to move the developing closer to ASF. Though the company is
> using GIT and I after the merge I will try another attempt to move this
> project to git to have a smooth transition between the patches.
> It seems the easier task, although I understand that as Subversion is an
> Apache library there are always emotions involved.

Nothing need stop combining GIT there with SVN here, but that is not the point.

The point is about community over code. If ODF Toolkit is going to make it as an Apache project
then the development needs to occur here in the community. If you continue to hold your changes
out until you are ready then you actually are working against the community (such as it is)
because no one is enable to work on your currently closed source changes.

Do you understand? In the two plus years that ODF Toolkit has been in the incubator there
has been very little collaborative development.

Switching from SVN to GIT can be a good discussion, but actual coding in a way viewable by
the community is what is required.

Regards,
Dave