incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: KEYS
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2013 20:11:25 GMT
 1. Unfortunately, the KEYS file is not tied to a web of trust.  Those public keys are indeed
there by themselves.  That is, folks who countersign any of those public keys and synchronize
with a PGP key-service will not have those certifications reflected automatically in KEYS.
 Someone has to know to install the KEYS file and then use their software to load the certifications
that can be found for that public key.  (At the moment, the only certification of the Florian
Hopf (CODE SIGNING KEY) is its self-signed sealing.)

 2. Another way, independent of the web of trust, is by using the public key available for
that release manager at either <https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/> or the group
certificate file at <https://people.apache.org/keys/group> once odftoolkit.asc becomes
available there.  These are bound to the credentials of recognized Apache Committers which
is much stronger than certifications of a stranger by other strangers.  In addition, those
files *are* updated from PGP key services, so any web-of-trust certifications (and, presumably,
revocations) will also be reflected in those certificates.

 3. I am curious.  For the current release candidate, I see that each artifact has an associated
.asc, .md5, and .sha.  How does a recipient of the artifact and its corresponding .asc to
know to find the necessary public key for verifying the artifact's external .asc signature?

 - Dennis

 4. PS: I also notice that, even as a committer with access to https://id.apache.org/info/MailAlias.txt,
believe it. I can't verify it. (Florian, please log onto your Apache account and update the
email addresses that you want to be recognized by.)