incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2013
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:51:27 GMT
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Svante Schubert
<> wrote:
> This time I will pass as mentor, but would like to comment to the SAX
> approach.
> Currently we are already using SAX (AFAIK DOM in general) to build up
> our own typed DOM tree, see
> The DOM of the XML files will only be created when elements of the
> desired files are accessed - not when you load the overall document.
> If there is a very huge document (let's say presentation) we still have
> to parse the complete document, even if we only desire a certain
> slide,as it is all in one content.xml.
> If there is a very huge document (let's say spreadsheet) we still have
> to parse the complete document, even if we only desire a certain
> spreadsheet or range from it, as it is all in one content.xml.
> If there is a very huge document (let's say text) we still have to parse
> the complete document, even if we only desire a certain chapter or
> content table, as it is all in one content.xml.
> Do you had a special scenario in mind, Rob?

There is a difference between parsing the entire document and building
a DOM for everything in content.xml.

For example, I might just be looking to extract all hyperlinks from a
document.  Or I might want to replace all instances of "Sun
Microsystems" with "Oracle Corp.'.   Instantiating the entire
content.xml DOM for tasks like this is overkill.

> PS: For instance, operations for real-time collaboration could be
> created by the above SAX Interface.
> - Svante
> On 22.03.2013 14:23, Rob Weir wrote:
>> If anyone wants to mentor a GSoC student you need to get your idea
>> entered into JIRA now.  It looks like the deadline is this weekend.
>> I wonder whether a streaming/scanning parser could be done in this
>> time frame?  We've seen some cases where our DOM-based solution takes
>> up too much memory and a more SAX-like approach would be better.
>> Any other ideas?
>> -Rob
Include the programming
>>> language, the tools and skills required, but try not to scare potential students
away. They are
>>> supposed to learn what's required before the program starts. Use labels, e.g.
for the programming
>>> language (java, c, c++, erlang, python, brainfuck, ...) or technology area (cloud,
xml, web, foo,
>>> bar, ...) and record them at [5]. Please use the COMDEV JIRA project for recording
your ideas if
>>> your project doesn't use JIRA (e.g. httpd, ooo). Contact
if you need
>>> assistance.
>>> - subscribe to (restricted to potential mentors, meant
to be used as a
>>> private list - general discussions on the public list
as much as possible
>>> please). Use a recognized address when subscribing ( or one of your
alias addresses on
>>> record).
>>> Note that the ASF isn't accepted yet, nevertheless you *really* should start
recording your ideas now.
>>> Over the years we were able to complete hundreds of projects successfully. Some
of our prior
>>> students are active contributors now! Let's make this a success again this year!
>>> Uli
>>> P.S.: Except for the private parts (label spreadsheet mostly), this email is
free to be shared
>>> publicly if you want to.
>>> [1]
>>> [2]