incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE][DISCUSS] Release Apache ODF Toolkit 0.6-incubating
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 14:05:00 GMT
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Florian Hopf
<mailinglists@florian-hopf.de> wrote:
> Some observations on the binary distribution: As a user I think I wouldn't
> be really happy that the mandatory dependencies are not included. If I am
> just dropping the jars of the binary distribution in my project and execute
> some simple ODFDOM code this fails immediately with a class not found
> exception. We should make it as easy as possible to get started with the
> project. It would be great if we could distribute all mandatory jars for
> executing the code in a lib folder (mvn dependency:copy-dependencies should
> help with this)

But if you include all the dependencies in the JAR then the user can
run into classpath and class loader issues if they are in an
environment that already has some of the dependencies, perhaps with
slightly different versions.  So I don't think we want to put
dependencies into the main JAR.

Maybe having a separate "dependencies.jar" would help?

But I think for most real-world uses cases the toolkit would be used
in an existing environment that will already have at least some of the
dependencies on the classpath.

-Rob