incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Svante Schubert <svante.schub...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2013
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:34:57 GMT
This time I will pass as mentor, but would like to comment to the SAX
approach.

Currently we are already using SAX (AFAIK DOM in general) to build up
our own typed DOM tree, see
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/odf/trunk/odfdom/src/main/java/org/odftoolkit/odfdom/pkg/OdfFileSaxHandler.java?view=markup

The DOM of the XML files will only be created when elements of the
desired files are accessed - not when you load the overall document.
If there is a very huge document (let's say presentation) we still have
to parse the complete document, even if we only desire a certain
slide,as it is all in one content.xml.
If there is a very huge document (let's say spreadsheet) we still have
to parse the complete document, even if we only desire a certain
spreadsheet or range from it, as it is all in one content.xml.
If there is a very huge document (let's say text) we still have to parse
the complete document, even if we only desire a certain chapter or
content table, as it is all in one content.xml.
Do you had a special scenario in mind, Rob?

PS: For instance, operations for real-time collaboration could be
created by the above SAX Interface.

- Svante