incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Svante Schubert <>
Subject Re: Require feed-back on table border collapse
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 13:56:20 GMT
Hi Ian,

On 06.03.2013 14:45, Ian C wrote:
> Hi Svante,
> I tried playing with this setting. In Open Office it maps into the
> "merge adjacent line styles" checkbox on a table's properties.
> (I found this out by manually editing the styles.xml and comparing documents)
> When changing the setting I see the table change slightly.
> I was using the TableTemplate.odt file in
> ODFToolKit/odf/simple/src/test/resources, which has the border-model
> set to collapsing.
> I also played around with the testApplyEmptyTemplate()  test and its
> table TestApplyEmptyTemplate.odt.
> With the style set to colapsing the table does look better.
I share this observation.
> I am guessing that when ODFDOM generates tables it uses the
> odfdom/src/main/resources/OdfTextDocument.odt as the source?
Exactly! Whenever a new document is being created from scratch one of
those resources documents is being loaded.
They have been created years ago, when there was no Apache and
LibreOffice. By saving an empty page from and adding all
the default styles, that can be chosen from the style selector.
It seems the application default has changed to "collapse" and my text
document with tables, looks much better.
> Not sure on the details of that part of the ODFToolkit yet.
> And I can see that it does indeed have the setting at separating.
> So changing it to collapsing may be better.
Yes, I share this observation, but wanted to have a wider feed-back.
> I will look more closely and may create some test cases to exercise the case.
> I read the reference details in the spec but I am unsure on the use
> cases of needing each of the settings.
> Collapsing seems to be the one that make more sense since it maximises
> the column space?
> More later.... I am being called away.
Thanks for your feed-back so far!
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Svante Schubert
> <> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> It is not a show stopper, but as I just stumbled over it and thought it
>> would good to share and get feed-back:
>> I realized, that tables generated with ODFDOM look much better, if in
>> the base template (i.e. styles.xml of
>> odfdom/src/main/resources/OdfTextDocument.odt) the table default style
>> is changed from
>> separating
>> collapsing
>> see
>> The result before was that table borders overlap over on the right page
>> side and borders looked bigger as usual, as border of adjacent cells
>> were added, instead of taking the bigger.
>> Regards,
>> Svante

View raw message