incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: Is there anything happening here?
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 23:55:59 GMT
On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Rob Weir wrote:
> Work should continue, but the pace is likely to be uneven.  For example,
> when a new version of ODF comes out, even when OASIS publishes errata
> for ODF 1.2, there will be schema changes that will need to be reflected
> in a new Toolkit release.  Ditto for when ODF 1.3 comes out.  So in some
> sense the pace is driven by the pace of standardization, which is a
> glacial pace.  Of course, that doesn't stop us from working on bugs,
> performance, etc.

Is anyone from the project coming to ApacheCon?

One thing that I think might be interesting is seeing if you could write a
shim to allow the ODFToolkit .ods support to implement the POI spreadsheet
interfaces. If it could, that could open up quite a few more users, as
people who have code to target .xls and .xlsx could then also output .ods
with only a few lines of code changed

Another piece of integration that would be good is with Apache Tika. Tika
currently has a slightly hacky piece of xml processing code to turn ODF
files into XHTML. It's low memory and fast, but not easy to maintain. It'd
be great to use some streaming support from ODFToolkit to make the Tika
code easier and more feature-ful, but again I think there are some feature
gaps. It should drive a lot more use though, if anyone's interested and
able to spend a bit of time on it?

Nick