incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is there anything happening here?
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 23:50:27 GMT
On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hello ODFTollkit community,
>
> Is there anything happening with development here is the community? I see little to no
activity recently. There were discussions and a "code freeze" then trouble then silence.

> So, I am curious about what people plan to do as individuals and where the ODF Toolkit
really wants to go as a community.

> If there is not enough community to support development as a full project, then perhaps
the alternatives need to be explored.

Well, what is the size of a typical Apache project?  I'm mainly
accustomed to one with 100+ committers and 400+ people subscribed to
the dev list.  And I know that is not typical.   Is there size below
which sustainability is an issue?

> (1) Be excepted as a subproject of an existing PMC. Here there are two possible choices:
>
> - Apache POI - which is about reading and writing Microsoft Office documents in Java.
I am on that PMC as our your mentors Nick and Yegor. If there is interest I am sure that we
would consider it in some form.

> - Apache OpenOffice - this may be more natural, but it is a vibrant community and this
could be considered an important part.

Either could be a good choice.  The argument for POI could be that MS
Office now supports ODF, so ODF is one of the MS Formats.  And the
argument for OpenOffice is that ODF is the default format for ODF, and
could be part of their SDK.

> (2) Make a clean release and then move the code to the Apache Attic.

Work should continue, but the pace is likely to be uneven.  For
example, when a new version of ODF comes out, even when OASIS
publishes errata for ODF 1.2, there will be schema changes that will
need to be reflected in a new Toolkit release.  Ditto for when ODF 1.3
comes out.  So in some sense the pace is driven by the pace of
standardization, which is a glacial pace.   Of course, that doesn't
stop us from working on bugs, performance, etc.

-Rob