incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Ian C <...@amham.net>
Subject Re: Is there anything happening here?
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 01:30:58 GMT
Hi Dave,

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 2:04 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hello ODFTollkit community,
>
> Is there anything happening with development here is the community? I see little to no
activity recently. There were discussions and a "code freeze" then trouble then silence.

> So, I am curious about what people plan to do as individuals and where the ODF Toolkit
really wants to go as a community.

> If there is not enough community to support development as a full project, then perhaps
the alternatives need to be explored.

> (1) Be excepted as a subproject of an existing PMC. Here there are two possible choices:
>
> - Apache POI - which is about reading and writing Microsoft Office documents in Java.
I am on that PMC as our your mentors Nick and Yegor. If there is interest I am sure that we
would consider it in some form.

> - Apache OpenOffice - this may be more natural, but it is a vibrant community and this
could be considered an important part.

> (2) Make a clean release and then move the code to the Apache Attic.
>
> Thoughts?

yeah, it's quite. A lot more so than AOO.

But I think it is an important project and one that should not be
moved to the attic.

As for moving it to another project, I will leave that to those wiser
than me :-)

I am using the Toolkit as part of a research project and intend to
submit the results to ODFT Apache when I get there. Of course if they
are wanted.
I have extended it in some ways to provide way of looking into ODF
documents to see what is there, in its own right, compared to other
documents, and compared to what is defined the schema.

I still have a lot of work to do, but getting there.

> Regards,
> Dave

Cheers,

Ian C