incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: POI Workbook adapter for ODFToolkit
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2013 17:34:34 GMT

On Feb 23, 2013, at 3:28 AM, Florian Hopf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to let you know that I started work on a POI workbook adapter for the ODFToolkit.
The goal is to make the POI Workbook functionality available for ODS documents so users can
use the familiar POI API to read and modify Open Document spreadsheets. The code still is
in an early stage but so far it looks quite promising. It's an interesting task because it
is a rather rare opportunity to have an existing implementation that I can use to see how
the API should behave. I already noticed that the ODFToolkit needs some further enhancements
and fixes to implement all the functionality but I am waiting for the current release to be
completed.

> I think providing the existing POI API for Open Document formats will be a huge benefit
for many users as for simple use cases I expect this to be nearly a drop in replacement.

This is wonderful. I'm looking forward to the results. When you are closer you should also
inform the Apache Tika community as this may also improve the consumption of ODF docs in text
extraction. Tika is used by Apache Solr and Apache Jackrabbit (JCR).

Regards,
Dave