incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The roadmap,release plan,and how to contribute new functions.
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 12:36:04 GMT
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Liu Da Li <wawalovo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> There is a customer who want to use ODF toolkit Simple API to deal with ODF
> files in their solutions.

Excellent.  More Toolkit users are good.

>  I am guiding them on how to use the toolkit and trying to implement some
> new features to simple API.

OK.

> What should I do when I want to contribute some new features to ODF simple
> API? What's the steps?

In Apache projects, new contributors do not have write access to the
Subversion repository.  So initially they need to submit patches.
JIRA is a good way to do this.  If a contributor establishes a record
of submitting good patches, and high quality work, then they may be
voted in as a "Committer".  Committers are given an Apache login, and
can then make changes to the source control directly.

Another requirement for becoming an Apache Committer is that you sign
and return the iCLA form:  http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

(at IBM this would first require management approval)

I'd recommend using JIRA for your initial contributions, since that
makes it easy to explain your feature and attach your patches.

Note:  all new API's should come with JUnit test cases and JavaDoc.
Some programmers like to write the JavaDoc and test cases first, and
then write the Java code until the test cases passes.

> And do anyone know the ODF toolkit's roadmap,release plan and process?

We don't have a set schedule of releases.  Whenever someone wants to
have an official release they propose this to the mailing list and we
vote on it.  Someone would also need to volunteer to be a Release
Manager for that release.  Devin did a good job writing up the release
procedures here:

http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/odftoolkit-release-guide.html

Personally, I'd like to have a release this autumn, maybe in September
or October.  We have some good bug fixes, as well as the new document
encryption code.  We also have a Google Summer of Code student working
on RDF support.  If that is ready to include by October, I think these
features would make a good release.

> I don't want build a special package for the customer by myself. It's best
> that they can get the toolkit from ODFToolkit website.

Good!

-Rob