incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Kejia Ye <christie....@gmail.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL]Add new Simple API to apply user customized styles to table.
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 13:30:58 GMT
Hi All,

I'd like to propose a new Simple API which could apply user customized
styles to table. The similar function can be found in OpenOffice as ' Table
> AutoFormat', which refers to 5 cell properties, number format, font,
alignment, borders and background. Customers usually have their own
customized table styles to process specified kind of data. So it would be
nice to let them define the styles once and apply them everywhere they need.

As for the input of the style, an easy way is to let customers create their
own styles in a document and the API can import the document and find the
specific table by its name, like Table.applyStyle(TemplateFile, TableName).
This would be easy for customers, they don't need to know more about the
style definition and can create their styles by any word processor, like
OpenOffice. But this would leave complex details to the API implementation,
since not all the word processors support the <table:table-template> by
now, the styles applied on a table may not be easy to extract.

Meanwhile, I saw there were some similar topics around customized default
styles(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODFTOOLKIT-137) on JIRA, but
I'm not sure whether they're overlapped to some extent. And there've been
no updates about that topic for some time, so if someone is still working
on that issue please let me know and any comments are welcome.

Regards,

Kejia Ye