incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: Allowing GIT access
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:39:47 GMT
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012, Svante Schubert wrote:
> Several Apache projects already have moved to GIT and IMHO it would ease
> our developers (my) life as well.
> For instance I have seen it in Apache (Incubator) Wave, where a branch
> to switch away from ANT to Maven was started on GitHub, which was very
> easy to track.

Read only git support is very easy to have:
    http://git.apache.org/
(We'd just need to ask for one to be setup for ODF Toolkit)

With read only git support, anyone can work with git, you can generate
patches etc. Writes would still go via subversion

A few projects have read-write git support, but it's still a WIP service.
Projects wishing to sign up need to offer up volunteers to help with the
infra and documentation side, so it's quite a bit more work. (Those
requirements will go away when it's finished, but as it's still WIP
projects wanting to use it need to get involved)

One thing I will highlight with my mentor hat on:

> Especially as I am working on a Google Summer of Code project with a
> student in China sending patches back and forth.

I'm a tiny bit concerned by this, and git has the potential to make it
worse. At Apache, everything should be taking place on-list. If the
discussions with the GSOC student were happening on list, then everyone
could offer advice. By having the discussions on a publically archived
list, then people getting involved in future can look back and learn from
the advice and suggestions in the past. Someone having a question about a
feature can see the discussions that lead up to it, and better understand
why the code ended up as it did.

With all that in mind, I would advise that you try to bring the
discussions back on-list if possible

Nick