incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ready to check in in document encryption code
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:25:24 GMT
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 5:29 AM, Ian C <ian@amham.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Ian C <ian@amham.net> wrote:
>>> Hi Guys,

JIRA as currently all issues are assigned to Devin.

>>> I don't know the details of JIRA and like everyone have limited time,
>>> but I am would be happy to get involved.
>>>

>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> JIRA is the easy part.  It is an issue tracker.  We report newly found
>> bugs there, and there is a simple workflow to take through through the
>> various stages, for example New -> Open -> In Progress -> Resolved ->
>> Closed.
>>
>> You should be able to to sign up for an account here:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Signup!default.jspa
>>
> Thanks, I am signed up.
>
>>> I am very interested in the ODFToolkit and looking to contribute.
>>>

>> Cool. What kind of things are you interested in working on?
>
> I emailed in another thread some ideas related to the code generator.
>

>> For coding work, there are a number of unassigned issues.  You could
>> look at any one of them.
>>
>> Another idea would be to try to get some 'code coverage' reports on
>> our existing JUnit tests, and see where we are missing tests and add
>> new ones.  That could be a good way of getting more familiar with the
>> code base.
>>
>> Also, our documentation, both on the website and the JavaDoc could use editing.
>>
>> Plenty of other things to do, depending on your interests.
>
> Cool, thanks, I will look around. Do I need any Apache formalities to
> be sorted first?

I'd take a quick look at this page that explains how Apache and Apache
projects work, in terms of organization:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

Especially note the 'roles'.  So right now you are a developer,
sometimes also called a contributor.  You don't have direct access to
check in changes to the version control.  So for now you submit
patches for review first.  We call that "Review then Committ" or RTC.
 But if you establish a record of good contributions then you can be
voted in as a project "Committer" and then have direct commit access.
At that point there is a formality, namely we would require a signed
iCLA from you:  http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

-Rob

>>> I have worked with a number of different ticketing systems over the
>>> years, this can't be that different.
>>>

>> They are all variations on the same concepts.
>>
> Indeed
>
>>> Contact me directly if interested,
>>>

>> I'm cc'ing you on this note, but hopefully you will subscribe to and
>> follow this mailing list.  It doesn't get a lot of traffic, but it is
>> where the project does its work.
>>
>> If you are not subscribed, you can do so by sending a note to:
>> odf-dev-subscribe@incubator.apache.org
>
> Yep, already subscribed.
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> -Rob