incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC Progress
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2012 13:38:26 GMT
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Noah Tilton <noahktilton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Sorry for the radio silence. I've been reading a bunch of books on the
> topic of language design and writing rough code. Mostly the struggle comes
> down to mapping the java API to the DSL syntax, and I haven't really hit on
> the cleanest way to do this yet.

Something I just ran across, in another Apache project:  command line
utilities for PDFBox:
http://pdfbox.apache.org/commandlineutilities/index.html

Not a DSL approach, of course, but if gives a sense of the kinds of
operations they found useful for their users.

> And debugging a DSL is hard!

For the programmer of the DSL, yes.  But what can you do to make it
easier for the user of the DSL?

> That said, I'll check in some code this week.

Great.  Enjoy your 4th of July holiday next week!

-Rob