incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ODF Command Line Tools -- Request for community feedback
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2012 17:47:56 GMT
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Noah Tilton <noahktilton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rob,
>
> I have thoroughly investigated Maven.  It is not immediately clear to
> me how one would use Maven for a jruby project.  Apache Buildr seems a
> better fit, but in my view neither is as easy as it should be.  And
> whether we use Maven or buildr or $X, people will still have to
> manually install jruby.
>
> I'm not saying we can't/shouldn't use a build tool, just that I spent
> way too much time this week fighting to make one work and failed
> miserably.

OK.  Thanks for trying.  Maven is great for managing Java project
dependencies.  Well, at least for pure Java projects targeting
standard Java outputs like JAR's, WAR's, EAR's, etc.  But the
Java/JRuby combination may be more complicated.

> So, I wrote a very simple (20-line) bash script which downloads jars
> and sets local shell variables, to make the example I sent to you
> previously work.  As long as you have wget, java, and jruby installed,
> you should be able to run
>
> % ./test.sh

I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 with bash.  It isn't liking parts of that
script.   But I was able to modify it as follows and it worked fine:

#!/bin/sh

if [ ! -d ./jars ]; then

  echo "Downloading jars"
  mkdir -p ./jars
  cd jars

  wget  http://mirrors.gigenet.com/apache//xerces/j/binaries/Xerces-J-bin.2.11.0.tar.gz\
        http://apache.osuosl.org/incubator/odftoolkit/binaries/odftoolkit-0.5-incubating-bin.tar.gz

  for targz in *.tar.gz; do
    echo "Extracting $targz"
    tar zxf $targz
  done

  cd ..
fi

echo "Running test"

JAVA_HOME="$(dirname $(dirname $(readlink -f $(which java))))"
echo "set JAVA_HOME to $JAVA_HOME"
CLASSPATH=./jars/xerces-2_11_0/xercesImpl.jar:./jars/xerces-2_11_0/xml-apis.jar:./jars/odftoolkit-0.5-incubating/simple-odf-0.7-incubating.jar:./jars/odftoolkit-0.5-incubating/odfdom-java-0.8.8-incubating.jar
export CLASSPATH

jruby lib/oclt.rb

> And see an immediate working result.  If that is not the case, please
> let me know.
>
> https://github.com/noah/odf-command-line-tools
>
> My plan is to get the DSL working and worry about making the build
> scripts pretty later.  If it works with standard Linux tools, that
> should be doable.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Two things: build env and runtime env.  For runtime env we should be
cross platform, right?  For bulld env, cross platform is ideal, but I
would not get bogged down on that.  Linux is fine.

I'm looking forward to seeing more on the DSL.

-Rob