incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Svante Schubert <>
Subject The generator, the center of the source --- (earlier Re: Fwd: Can't get codegen running)
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2012 11:25:10 GMT
Interesting, I was not aware of that possibility, I usually started the
generation process with "mvn compile -P codegen" or "mvn install -P

Be aware that for some time now there is a - most likely 3rd party
influenced - regression in the code generation, that causes us trouble
If the code after generation will not build through it happens to the
above reason.

Nevertheless the most precious part of this ODF Toolkit is - or better
will be - this generator.
The ability to load your own XML schema, be it of type RelaxNG (or
DTD, W3C XML Schema (subset Part1) or TREX,  RELAX (Namespace & Core)
functionality) into a unified RelaxNG model - using the MultiSchema
Validator (MSV).
And the Apache Velocity template engine to access the model (actually we
in addition build a simplified access model on top of the MSV).
Therefore step 1) Abstract from existing schema jungle

Providing templates for a typed DOM - allowing developers to know more
about the schema by the type classes, providing guidance.
Or providing generated documentation, still prototyp even the archetype
selfhtml - see (don't
mind the German - <commercial>Chrome Browser as mouse context menu
language transition</commercial>).  Even with using selfhtml like
velocity template - basically a text file with syntax to write any
arbitrary Java source code within accessing a context (the our MSV
model) - ODF needs some BNF to express child abilites.. And AFAIK
sequence and choice are the missing pieces to be implemented in the code
Therefore step 2) Collect information from custom schema and rebuild it
to human friendly documentation or source code (typed DOM tree)

Pretty sure that in the next one/two year(s) this problems will start to
itch in a way that I am able to find a patron to scratch it...

PS: Please satisfy my curiosity and tell me why you are interested in
the jewel of the toolkit?

Enjoy your week-end, Ian!