incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ODF Command Line Tools -- Request for community feedback
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 21:03:20 GMT
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:15 AM, Noah Tilton <noahktilton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was selected as a gsoc2012 participant by the Apache Software
> Foundation (ASF) for the ODF Command Line Tools (OCLT) project.  At
> Rob Weir's suggestion, I have proposed an initial feedback period
> (during Community Bonding) to gauge the interest and leanings of the
> community regarding the OCLT tools.  My proposal document is less a
> roadmap and more a hodgepodge of different ideas to solving the
> problem of the OCLS:
>
> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8g_FgudO4EdbWk0T01Zbmo4RFU
>
> Please feel free to discuss pros/cons of the different approaches I
> have proposed, or to propose new ideas.

Hi Noah -- Many members of this project are also members of the Apache
OpenOffice project, and they just had their first release today.  So
it is not surprising that your note may have been lost in the
excitement.  Of all the days in the year...

Some quick comments:

You might want to take a look at the Bean Scripting Framework, part of
Apache Commons:

http://commons.apache.org/bsf/

"BSF permits any Java application to be implemented in part (or
dynamically extended) by a language that is embedded within it. This
is achieved by providing an API that permits calling scripting
language engines from within Java, as well as an object registry that
exposes Java objects to these scripting language engines."

I wonder if it would be possible to use BSF to make the DSL approach easier?

-Rob