incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Tilton <noahktil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ODF Command Line Tools -- Request for community feedback
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 06:06:27 GMT
Hi Rob,

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:15 AM, Noah Tilton <noahktilton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was selected as a gsoc2012 participant by the Apache Software
>> Foundation (ASF) for the ODF Command Line Tools (OCLT) project.  At
>> Rob Weir's suggestion, I have proposed an initial feedback period
>> (during Community Bonding) to gauge the interest and leanings of the
>> community regarding the OCLT tools.  My proposal document is less a
>> roadmap and more a hodgepodge of different ideas to solving the
>> problem of the OCLS:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8g_FgudO4EdbWk0T01Zbmo4RFU
>>
>> Please feel free to discuss pros/cons of the different approaches I
>> have proposed, or to propose new ideas.
>>

> Hi Noah -- Many members of this project are also members of the Apache
> OpenOffice project, and they just had their first release today.  So
> it is not surprising that your note may have been lost in the
> excitement.  Of all the days in the year...

Yes, it got pretty noisy yesterday.  I spent a few minutes
unsubscribing from the regular lists and re-subscribing to the digest
versions and it's an improvement.

> Some quick comments
>
> You might want to take a look at the Bean Scripting Framework, part of
> Apache Commons:
>
> http://commons.apache.org/bsf/
>
> "BSF permits any Java application to be implemented in part (or
> dynamically extended) by a language that is embedded within it. This
> is achieved by providing an API that permits calling scripting
> language engines from within Java, as well as an object registry that
> exposes Java objects to these scripting language engines."
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to use BSF to make the DSL approach easier?

Sure, the BSF is a good way to do embedding, although there are other
options, depending on the scripting language.  If we go the DSL route,
I guess a lot depends on which scripting language we choose and what
their community offers.  I like ruby, so my vote is for JRuby, any
takers?

--
Noah