incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Introductions
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 19:23:32 GMT
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Noah Tilton <noahktilton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello odf-dev,
>
> I recently learned that my proposal for gsoc2012 was accepted by the
> ASF.  I will be working on this project:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2012/noahktilton/6001

Hi Noah,  welcome to the project.  Sorry if things are a bit quiet
right now, or I'm slow to respond.   We're finishing off a release of
a somewhat related project (Apache OpenOffice) and that end game is
sucking up my time this week,

> Just wanted to drop a line and ask a few questions:
>
> 1) What kind of processes are in place for development?  I typically
> use git, vim and linux.

The ODF Toolkit is pure Java and doesn't have any editor or IDE
assumptions.  Some use NetBeans, some Eclipse.  I use SlickEdit.
Whatever works for you is fine.   Similar for platform.   If I'm doing
a major check in I'll test on Windows and Linux and with a few
different JVM's, since there are some occasionally glitches.

For version control Apache projects use Apache Subversion.  (Probably
not a coincidence).

I'm assuming we want the command line tools to end up being part of
the toolkit, not its own thing on some other island.  So it probably
makes sense to start the work making some of the same tooling
assumptions, e.g., JDK versions, Maven, SVN, etc.  Using the same
tooling will also make it easier for you if you find out that you need
to tweak something in the core of the Toolkit in order to enable your
work.

> 2) Any docs I should familiarize myself with?

I'd start by downloading the current Toolkit, either from our last
release [1] or directly from Subversion [2].

Install Maven as well, if you don't already have it.  Then you can
build and test the Toolkit via the command:   "mvn install" from the
root of the source tree.

Once you have that working, I'd recommend reading through the website,
especially on ODFDOM and the Simple API:

http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/index.html

The "Cookbook" [3] has some code snippets that are probably relevant
to your project.

[1]: http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/downloads.html
[2]: http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/source.html
[3]: http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/simple/document/cookbook/index.html

> 3) Where is everyone geographically?  (I'm in Chicago, and tend to
> work a late morning through late evening schedule.)

http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/people.html

I'm East Coast US, but I have a lot of conference calls with China, so
I tend to work early and late, with a break mid-day.

-Rob