incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Michał Jaskurzyński <jasko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC: ODF Command Line Tools Application
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:30:44 GMT
Hi Rob,

>One observation:  you
> have a -s parameter that contains a mini script of commands.  Could
> this be a in a separate file as well, which could make it easier to do
> more complex scenarios?

Yes, I mentioned that in first example. -S will read script from file

 >We could even have a special "small language"
> for text processing of WYSIWYG documents.  The interesting thing about
> that approach is that the same syntax could be implemented on multiple
> languages, e.g., ODF Toolkit for a GSoC project, but then someone else
> could implement on top of Apache POI to support MS Office documents.
> So it will be good to have a clean abstraction and separation between
> the command layers and the ODF-manipulation layers.
>
> I think the Simple API that we have today is a good level of
> abstraction for many text operations, but it requires a skilled Java
> programmer to work with it.  They don't need to understand ODF in
> detail, but they do need to understand Java.

I think that most of commands can by translated directly to java api

so script like this:

newImage(filename);
addParagraph(content);
addList("element1", "element2");
addTable(3, 3);

This approach can be easily implemented in our tool and it will let to
create odf documents from shell script. The another advantage is that
programmer will not have to learn new api.

WBR
Michal