incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Google Summer of Code 2012 and ODF Toolkit
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 20:56:46 GMT
Hopefully PMC members saw the note regarding GSoC.  Apache is applying
to be a participating organization.

This is the info for potential mentors:

------------------

If you want to participate with your project you NOW need to

- understand what it means to be a mentor [1] - propose your project ideas.
Just label your issues with gsoc2012 in JIRA and they will show up at [2].
See also [1]. - subscribe to code-awards@apache.org (restricted to
potential mentors, meant to be used as a private list - general discussions
on the public dev@community.apache.org list as much as possible please)

The ASF will apply as a participating organization with GSoC, your project
doesn't need to do that. See [3] for more information. Note that the ASF
isn't accepted yet, nevertheless you *really* should start recording your
ideas now.

Last year we had 38 students completing GSoC successfully, some of which
are now active contributors to the projects they worked on. Let's make this
a success again this year!

On behalf of the GSoC 2012 admins,

Uli

[1] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
[2] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2012tasks
[3] http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
------------------

Note that a couple of years ago, the ODF Toolkit Union applied for
GSoC, but was not accepted.  But as part of that effort we (well,
Svante did most of the work) created a website listing project ideas.
you can see it on the legacy website here;

http://odftoolkit.org/projects/odftoolkit/pages/GoogleSummerOfCode2010ProjectIdeas

Some of these ideas have already been done now, like the encryption
and digital signature work that Devin did.  But other ideas still
remain.

Any other ideas?

One thing that I thought might be cool would be a set of command line
utilities that mimic the common GNU/Linux tools, but which operate on
ODF documents.   cat, grep, diff and sed are obvious ones. Maybe
something awk-like that works with spreadsheets?  No need to be
slavish to the original tools, but create something of similar power,
but which operate on ODF documents.

-Rob