incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: How to do an ODF Toolkit release?
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:51:22 GMT
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Svante Schubert
<> wrote:
> Hi Devin,
> as you did before an ODF Toolkit release at Apache, do you have some
> notes you are able to share?

Devin put up a web page here:

> One comment already. We might want use the subversion tag mechanism
> instead of storing each release in a different folder of our svn repository.
> Recently I have realized at Jenkins (picture in the upper right of
>, that the workplace space
> jumped up to half a gigabyte around the build #24.
> I could not find any changes (see
>, but when I downloaded
> the complete repository via "svn co
>", I realized a "/tags"
> sub folder, with all our release candidates each about 50BM. I fear this
> will not scale for the future, especially as Subversion might do the job
> via tagging, although I am not a Subversion expert and can not give you
> any advice on that.

I was new to Subversion, and surprised at this behavior as well. From
what I've read, a tag and a branch are exactly the same.  They are
done via "svn copy.  The only difference is convention, whether you
store in /tags or /branches. The copy operation is cheap/lazy from the
Subversion server's perspective.  They do not instantiate storage for
the entire copy.  However, when you bring down to local file system,
via a check-out, it does expand it.

So when I download, I download only odf/trunk, in order to avoid
/tags.  If Jenkins is not doing this, then it is bring down a lot more
than necessary.

> Anyone at the list, who can tell us the usual Apache way?
> Best,
> Svante

View raw message