incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC: ODF Command Line Tools Application
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:53:47 GMT
On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Michał Jaskurzyński <jaskoola@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Michal Jaskurzynski. I am computer science student at West
> Pomeranian University of Technology. I am interested in participating
> in project: "ODF Command Line Tools" submitted to Google Summer of
> Code program.
> I made draft application
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-SCbjaNS-Wl1J7eNen9Lj1y69QWAZsJOjf8b6Ho1W4o/edit?pli=1.
> Could you give me your opinion about my proposition?

Hi Michal,

Thanks for sharing the draft of your proposal.  One observation:  you
have a -s parameter that contains a mini script of commands.  Could
this be a in a separate file as well, which could make it easier to do
more complex scenarios?  We could even have a special "small language"
for text processing of WYSIWYG documents.  The interesting thing about
that approach is that the same syntax could be implemented on multiple
languages, e.g., ODF Toolkit for a GSoC project, but then someone else
could implement on top of Apache POI to support MS Office documents.
So it will be good to have a clean abstraction and separation between
the command layers and the ODF-manipulation layers.

I think the Simple API that we have today is a good level of
abstraction for many text operations, but it requires a skilled Java
programmer to work with it.  They don't need to understand ODF in
detail, but they do need to understand Java.

The idea of command line approach is to allow system admins and power
users to do automated document processing, to make powerful tools
available to them.

One way we could start this project would be to develop some scenarios
for how users would want to operate on documents.  I think, in the
end, this project will be equally a design effort (even a command line
tool as a "user interface") and a coding task.

-Rob