incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC: ODF Command Line Tools Application
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:46:37 GMT
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Michał Jaskurzyński
<jaskoola@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to use JavaCC Parser Generator for parsing scripts. What
> do you think about that? Are there any obstacles that I don't know?

In general, the use of 3rd party code in Apache projects is allowed,
provided we have access to the code under a compatible open source
license.

The thing to check is whether JavaCC puts any restrictions on the
generated code.  Some "compiler compilers" (like early versions of
Bison) put a copyleft license on generated code.  This would not be
compatible with the Apache license.

Looking at JavaCC we see this license:

"Copyright (c) 2006, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

    * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
      this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
      documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
    * Neither the name of the Sun Microsystems, Inc. nor the names of its
      contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
      this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF
THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE."

So I think this will be OK.  From a technical perspective, I think
this is a good way to go, especially if this evolves into an
interpreted document processing language.

-Rob