incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From Svante Schubert <svante.schub...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to do an ODF Toolkit release?
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:36:35 GMT
On 20.03.2012 13:51, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Svante Schubert
> <svante.schubert@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Devin,
>>
>> as you did before an ODF Toolkit release at Apache, do you have some
>> notes you are able to share?
>>
> Devin put up a web page here:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/odftoolkit-release-guide.html
Thanks for the references, obviously I have overseen it.

>> One comment already. We might want use the subversion tag mechanism
>> instead of storing each release in a different folder of our svn repository.
>> Recently I have realized at Jenkins (picture in the upper right of
>> https://builds.apache.org/job/ODFToolkit/), that the workplace space
>> jumped up to half a gigabyte around the build #24.
>> I could not find any changes (see
>> https://builds.apache.org/job/ODFToolkit/changes), but when I downloaded
>> the complete repository via "svn co
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/odf/", I realized a "/tags"
>> sub folder, with all our release candidates each about 50BM. I fear this
>> will not scale for the future, especially as Subversion might do the job
>> via tagging, although I am not a Subversion expert and can not give you
>> any advice on that.
>
> I was new to Subversion, and surprised at this behavior as well. From
> what I've read, a tag and a branch are exactly the same.  They are
> done via "svn copy.  The only difference is convention, whether you
> store in /tags or /branches. The copy operation is cheap/lazy from the
> Subversion server's perspective.  They do not instantiate storage for
> the entire copy.  However, when you bring down to local file system,
> via a check-out, it does expand it.
>
> So when I download, I download only odf/trunk, in order to avoid
> /tags.  If Jenkins is not doing this, then it is bring down a lot more
> than necessary.
You are right the tags directory is usual SVN habit -
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.intro.quickstart.html

Seems I was spoiled by Mercurial tag functionality.
So the trigger of the problem seems to be a usability bug in Jenkins.
Although Jenkins is only using the 50MB trunc to build and the trunc is
defined as workspace (see https://builds.apache.org/job/ODFToolkit/ws/),
it still shows the size of the overall repository in the image as
workspace.
Jenkins uses the word "workspace" for two different entities (Subversion
root for the build and overall repository). Quite misleading..

Thanks,
Svante