incubator-odf-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Test documents for Signature feature and Maven support for ODF artifacts
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 15:27:10 GMT
How is this

  "... [D]erivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it or assist in its implementation
may be prepared, copied, published, and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction
of any kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this section are included on all
such copies and derivative works."

a problem?  It specifies a particular condition (assist in its implementation) on purpose
(though not "field of use"), and that seems to require Category B handling, at worst.  There
is no reciprocity condition, so that should be a relief.

I do think that LEGAL is the best first step, because they are prepared for questions on specific
Apache Project uses in connection with specific licenses, something that it would be strange
for OASIS Legal to be able to address.  Getting a specific-use declaration from OASIS is not
likely to satisfy any expectation for a fully-satisfying open-source license on these artifacts.
 Just sayin' ... .

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 08:07
To: odf-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Test documents for Signature feature and Maven support for ODF artifacts

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> From the cover page of the ODF 1.2 specification:
>
> "This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to others, and derivative
works that comment on or otherwise explain it or assist in its implementation may be prepared,
copied, published, and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any kind,
provided that the above copyright notice and this section are included on all such copies
and derivative works. However, this document itself may not be modified in any way, including
by removing the copyright notice or references to OASIS, except as needed for the purpose
of developing any document or deliverable produced by an OASIS Technical Committee (in which
case the rules applicable to copyrights, as set forth in the OASIS IPR Policy, must be followed)
or as required to translate it into languages other than English."

> That should take care of copies of the specifications bundled in distributions, kept
in project repositories etc.

> The ODF 1.2 schema files have the same statement in their notices.
>
> Why is this not sufficient?

It does not allow distribution of modifications, which is a key
attribute of an open source license.

> It seems more appropriate to obtain from ASF Legal a determination of the class of license
this is for the specific purposes that you propose to make of it.

We've done that already.  That is why we had to remove the schemas
from the repository and instead download them at build time.   Getting
them to Maven Central would be a more elegant way of doing this.

-Rob